Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wood really does bend...

  1. #1
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    I just made my first hoops from scratch...using a pvc pipe, a portable hand steamer and a roll of duct tape. Not a bad result!
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    neato!

  3. #3
    Senior Member GrannyW5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    813
    They look great

  4. #4
    Super Member danmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parsons, Ks
    Posts
    1,650
    Those are really cool! I can't believe that the wood bent and didn't break! Great job!!!!! Amazing!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member TeresaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Arkansas
    Posts
    518
    WOW, that is so neat.

  6. #6
    Senior Member TeresaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Arkansas
    Posts
    518
    My DH wants to know what type of wood you used.

  7. #7
    Super Member Mamagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Like the hoop! But my question has to with your backdrop! Do you know what the name of the laminate countertop is where you bought it?

    It is called Labrador Granite here in Canada and I wondered if they changed the name for us, or is it sold in the US as that too?

  8. #8
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    Well done! I'd say better than what comes out of China for sure.

  9. #9
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaT
    My DH wants to know what type of wood you used.
    I used poplar for the hoop and aspen for the clamp pieces. It did take a lot of time for the first try, but I have been thinking of ways to make it faster and easier. I figure I can sell these too on the Website. I am going to try an all Aspen hoop next and then keep experimenting with other woods. After making my own, if I pick up a hoop from a store they feel weak. Can you tell I'm excited about these?

    Harry

  10. #10
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Like the hoop! But my question has to with your backdrop! Do you know what the name of the laminate countertop is where you bought it?

    It is called Labrador Granite here in Canada and I wondered if they changed the name for us, or is it sold in the US as that too?
    It does look like granite, but it is actually called EOS. It is a solid surface, not laminated. It's about 25% less than a Corian countertop and a lot less than solid granite. I love it!

    Harry

  11. #11
    Marjpf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    1,915
    Great job! There are items you can get from a wood working store that help to bend wood. My husband makes guitars and does a lot of wood bending. One way is to soak it, then after you have it set it the clamps use a really strong hair dryer.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Ok, that's too cool!

  13. #13
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    Great job! There are items you can get from a wood working store that help to bend wood. My husband makes guitars and does a lot of wood bending. One way is to soak it, then after you have it set it the clamps use a really strong hair dryer.
    I will try to take a picture of my set up an post it on Thursday.
    Harry

  14. #14
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Cool! Good job!

  15. #15
    Super Member Mamagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb1834
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Like the hoop! But my question has to with your backdrop! Do you know what the name of the laminate countertop is where you bought it?

    It is called Labrador Granite here in Canada and I wondered if they changed the name for us, or is it sold in the US as that too?
    It does look like granite, but it is actually called EOS. It is a solid surface, not laminated. It's about 25% less than a Corian countertop and a lot less than solid granite. I love it!

    Harry
    It is a beauty!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    759
    Wow! Good job!

  17. #17
    Senior Member beckyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plum City Wisconsin
    Posts
    962
    you did a good job

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    Cool!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.