Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Work quilt #6 >

Work quilt #6

Work quilt #6

Old 08-31-2023, 08:08 PM

Default Work quilt #6

Hi.This is an another in the collection I am making for coworkers. Someone is a Dead Head so this is what I designed for him. Still making some decisions on this one. Top is done and ready for the borders. Still deciding if I want to go with the tie dye border or a black border. It will only be about 2” to bring the quilt to 80x80-ish. It has a surprise in it that I am not going to tell the recipient about but I have the photo posted here. I am also still trying to decide how I am going to quilt this one as well. Stippling was on the agenda but it really doesn’t go with the design so while I am finalizing that decision I am going to finish work quilt #7 - the Pink Floyd one and work on getting #8 (Pokémon) cut out as well.

Gotta get back to it. Enjoy the photos and see ya on the flip side. Thanks for looking and as always, I appreciate your comments. They are also fun to share with the recipients.

Last edited by fatsewcat; 10-04-2023 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:48 AM

I love it, great job! It's unique to the guy receiving it, what a great gift.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:50 AM

Ooh, I love the glow in the dark! Can't wait to see the next quilts. You must really like your co-workers.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:48 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Very cool! I would love to see what you did for Floyd.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:24 AM

I'm a dead head too...Awesome quilt design. While I like tie-die I personally would prefer a black border if that is the choice. Tie-die is a such a specific look. Tie die on the back would be good. Either way I am sure he will love it.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
I'm a dead head too...Awesome quilt design. While I like tie-die I personally would prefer a black border if that is the choice. Tie-die is a such a specific look. Tie die on the back would be good. Either way I am sure he will love it.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I have been actually leaning toward the black as well. It was my original design plan and the more I look at the tie dye in that pick, I don't think I will be as happy with it being the border. The back has some Grateful Dead fabrics in it that didn't make it to the front and since I didn't buy enough to make the back entirely out of those fabrics, it will be black as well to complete what I need to quilt it. Recipient has seen the initial design because I had to get a true Dead Head opinion on something, so glad I did or it would have ended up in the garage in a never to be seen again box, LOL, but he hasn't seen the finished design and product yet.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yiaya View Post
Very cool! I would love to see what you did for Floyd.
Thank you.

I have the 'Dark Side of the Moon" block done and hope to get the rest of it done this weekend, it should go a lot quicker than this one did. I'll post pictures when I get the top or entire thing done. Stay tuned.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
Ooh, I love the glow in the dark! Can't wait to see the next quilts. You must really like your co-workers.
This glow in the dark fabric is making into several quilt designs right now....thanks to my husband requesting it in the bargello quilt I recently made for him. And yeah, I like to give away quilts. After the coworkers are done. I have about 20 to make for my moms side of the family - an aunt and some cousins and such. I'm ready to get them started too. I'd sew all day everyday if it weren't for my job getting in the way.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by fatsewcat View Post
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I have been actually leaning toward the black as well. It was my original design plan and the more I look at the tie dye in that pick, I don't think I will be as happy with it being the border. The back has some Grateful Dead fabrics in it that didn't make it to the front and since I didn't buy enough to make the back entirely out of those fabrics, it will be black as well to complete what I need to quilt it. Recipient has seen the initial design because I had to get a true Dead Head opinion on something, so glad I did or it would have ended up in the garage in a never to be seen again box, LOL, but he hasn't seen the finished design and product yet.
Please post a picture when your done. Would love to see it complete. BTW, the glow in the dark thread is a nice touch too :-)
Old 09-01-2023, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

My thought was - maybe about an inch wide black border, 3 inch multipint, and a widish black binding - I ike my bindings to be about 1/2 inch wide.