Xmas applique cushions!! >

Xmas applique cushions!!

Xmas applique cushions!!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 AM

awesome!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM

Those are adorable!!! They will love them!! :D
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM

what wonderful applique you do Izy, how long did it take for you to perfect your skills. Have you learn any tricks of the trade you could pass on to those of us that are afraid to even start, Cindy
Old 12-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
what wonderful applique you do Izy, how long did it take for you to perfect your skills. Have you learn any tricks of the trade you could pass on to those of us that are afraid to even start, Cindy
Cindy, I first attempted applique in my sampler quilt and worked on the different techniques, doing it mostly by hand THEN I discovered Steam a seam, wow does it make it easier, I have been quilting for two years just.:D

Tips....errmmmm, let me think :roll:

1. Choose an easy design first, with reasonably sized pieces, as small pieces mean LOTS more stitching.

2. When tracing the individual sections of design onto steam a seam, select each part of the design that will use the same fabric so you can cut a larger piece of fabric then sub divide it up after you have fixed the steam a seam.
3. When you trace the individual sections onto steam a seam, leave 1/4" between each tracing, turn the steam a seam around so you don't have too much wastage, inbetween tracings.
4. When tracing each section, slightly enlarge any ajoining edges that you know can overlap by 1/16th" this allows you to catch two edges, but only one row of stitching!
5. Plan ahead!! Look at the design and decide what areas will be in the background and what will be in front, start layering from the background up.
6. Steam a seam is repositionable, the back is sticky so grips the background fabric a little, no chance of it being nudged out of place while you adjust surrounding places.

7. ONLY when you are completely satisfied iron it all down at once with a straight down and up motion, never slide the iron.

8. To protect your iron and ironing board, pin two sheets of greaseproof paper to your ironing board with two pins then open them up place your applique between the two sheets then close the top sheet over carefully then iron...NO Gunk on iron or cover, IF you have an smudge of glue on the greaseproof you can roll if off easily , just get into the habit of checking everytime you bond it.

9. You only need a plain thread in your bobbin, no need to waste embroidery threads as it will never been seen, just check your tension to make sure it doesn't come up and spoil the effect.

10. If you use a normal blanket/applique stitch, practice first when to stop and turn, as you need to become accostumed to the movement of each stitch, mine goes back and forth several times on each stitch, you should only turn when your needle is at the right hand edge of the horizontal stitch then your stitches will stay in line with the edge. When you get to the edge, it is best to reduce the width of your stitch. Also on tight inner curves, use a smaller stitch so the legs don't overlap.

Well thats off the top of my head, if I think of anything else I will add it later, hope I help and not hinder lol!! :D

Just remembered another, use the open toe foot and an embroidery needle for all those lovely threads, and reduce your foot pressure so you can swing the applique around curves so not so much stopping and starting.

If you have a knee lift facility for your foot, it helps enormously :D

Another thought, if you are multi layering, (like on the angel's dress on the baby quilt I just finished , dress, pinny and heart) the finished article can become quite stiff, so you can reduce the amount of steam a seam to just a border around each piece...basically cut out the shape roughly in steam a seam, then remove the centre of the shape leaving a perimeter around the outside edge of each piece, you can use the removed section for smaller parts of the design, or save for future use :D

There are hundres of free designs on the web, not only advertised as applique design, search through colouring pages and stained glass designs, I have found lots of inspiration this way :D
Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 PM

so very pretty... :-)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Very cute Izy! I'm not a bit suprised anymore by your amazing talent. Keep them coming girl!!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Izy

:D :D :D
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Izy - what a great tutorial, I wish we were neighbors! Thank you...
Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
Izy - what a great tutorial, I wish we were neighbors! Thank you...
Cindy....thats why the internet is such a good thing in many ways....we would never have exchanged ideas would we!! :D Hope my tips help you just DO it!! lol!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 PM

Those are sooooo cute just love them.