Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YBR quilt is done. Advice/critique?

Blog Entries
    I think you did a wondeful job. Especially love your color combination. Lots of pinning (and starching fabrics as you piece) have helped me.
    Mavis

Your quilt did turn out beautiful. One thing I noticed is that you asked if you can use your walking foot for FMQ. YOu will need a different food for FMQ (darning foot, FMQ foot, etc. usually same/similar with different names)

One of my favorite patters; have done several. I love your colors and especially love that beige border you chose. I think you will love the 505 spray; helps tremendously. Good luck on your quilting and thanks for sharing.

OMG your quilt is wonderful great job ) thank you for sharing
    There's only one true happiness in life ... to love and be loved )

I think it is gorgeous..........and it is still good to snuggle in!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

nls
    Pretty color fabrics!

It's a lovely quilt but like you, I think it needs some additional quilting. What about cross hatching (or some other design of your choice) on the widest border. It is just straight stitching on an angle & you could use a ruler to make sure they are evenly spaced, mark with an erasable marker & sew !
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    I agree with others, I love the colors and I think you did good for asecond quilt. It looks alot better than my first one....which I have on my wall in my quilt room.....I kept it so I could look at it and see how far I have come in two years of quilting...

When I first started, I used my Ironing board to put my quilt together. I think that you will like the spray basting or try the glue sticks?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Good fabric choices, well sewn.
    On basting spray, if you have any breathing problems, avoid it. I used it once, out of doors, with the wind going away from me and still had a major asthma attack.
    Thanks for the information about basting spray with asthma. I stay away from all aerosols, but have been really tempted to use the spray as there are so many "raves" on here about it. Bummer for me!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I really like your quilt, but you re going to find that the walking foot is really going to be useful, also you might wat to add more quilting stitches. Over all, great job, but my quilting is not good enough for me to be the quilt police. LOL

100% better than my first attempt at quilting! pretty colors

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrings View Post
    You did a great job on this and the fabric combination is beautiful. If you don't like the look of stitch in the ditch, it's not too late to free-motion quilt, e.g. the border of the bigger plainer squares to add texture. You can practice after you get your walking foot on scraps and fmq it later. Have fun!
    I agree.
    I love your quilt. I think you did a great job for a first quilt. If you aren't happy with the quilting you can add more. I suggest that you try the Quilting Made Easy patterns. They are printed on paper and the paper has sticky stuff on the edges so it stays in place while you are sewing. You can buy them online or lots of quilt shops carry them. They have all sizes for borders and quilting in the blocks, too. I use them all the time for may borders. Their website is quiltingmadeeasy.com. Just a suggestion. I have no affiliation with them, I just like their products.

I really like it. Don't know what you think is wrong with it.

Love the colors and lay out!! Another option that may or may not have been mentioned is shadow quilting. Instead of stitch-in-the-ditch, you stitch 1/4 away from the seam, shadowing it. It is much easier to do than SITD, but keep practicing, you'll find one you will love. I never really caught the machine stitch bug, I do hand quilting as I truly find it easier! Another alternative to spray is Elmers School Glue. I really like it, just make sure to smooth out any drops!!
    Last edited by AZ Jane; 11-05-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Sandwiching the quilt is the hardest part of the equation for me. I tried basting spray on my last one and loved it! Sharon Schamber has a wonderful method for making your sandwich using boards. It comes out nice and smooth. A walking foot will definitely help and it really isn't too late to try FMQing on it. Overall it's a lovely quilt and I love your fabric combinations. They are absolutely gorgeous!

Light Medium Dark are what make a quilt look great. And you did that beautifully
    DEB CAVAN

Blog Entries
    When using the basting spray it is best to do it where there is ample fresh air. The fumes are very harmful and the over spray gets every where. I do mine out side. Also, I find it helpful if my top and backing have been starched. Medium to heavy helps keep the fabric from stretching causing puckers.

When you baste with safety pins you will need to start quilting in the center working your way out and re-pin every row. Other wise you will get puckers, ask me how I know.

When quilting without a walking foot, if you are able, lower the pressure on the presser foot if your machine allows it. This allows the fabric to slide under the foot easier, think of it like trying to roll pie crust. The more pressure on top of the rolling pin, the more doe the gets squished out.

I'm sure your getting a ton I'd advice from every which way. Just remember to have fun and do what works for you. And YouTube has a ton of videos of different techniques.

Great colors and happy quilting!
    The Quilting Bear

I think you did a fine job! I sometimes stitch in the ditch and THEN free motion. It looks like your quilt would a be a good chance to do this. It looks to me like the pulling you're talking about is just from not enough quilting. Just stitch in the ditch isn't enough sometimes, so you can either add more straight lines, or FMQ . Good job!

That is just beautiful, you did a wonderful job, the colors go so nicely together....you did great!

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    I wanted to thank everyone for their kind comments and wonderful advice!!!

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    My 16 yr old son wanted a quilt made. He asked for something in black and gray. So I did an image search for YBR quilts and found one I wanted to make for him. Here it is. I loved this quilt. It turned out so nice. I could have given it away 4-5 times over. I sent it to my son and he loved it. If someone on this board made the original thank you for the inspiration. I have a request to make 2 more. My own husband wants one. Anyways, here is my version of the black and gray YBR.

This was also my first time doing a diamond quilting pattern.

It's very pretty. A great 2nd quilt. It's better than mine was, I can tell you that.

A walking foot would have helped with the stitch in the ditch. Like you, though, I like my quilts to be quilted more densely. Makes me feel like they'll never come apart!

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    I LOVE 505 basting spray. It makes everything so much easier. I'll never pin baste again! Your quilt looks great! I'm sure you will continue to improve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2