Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t100041.html)

Donna Hall 02-15-2011 09:18 AM

What thread do you use to machine piece? machine quilt? hand quilt? hand piece?

sidmona 02-15-2011 09:19 AM

For machine piecing I use Superior So Fine in top and bottom. For machine quilting I use Mettlar Silk finish on top and Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin.

EIQuilter 02-15-2011 10:28 AM

For machine piecing, I generally use Aurifil 50 wt top and bottom. For machine quilting, I like Fil-tec's Glide top and bottom, but also use thread from Metro Embroidery and embroidery thread from our local LQS (but I'm drawing a blank on the brand name!). When I was hand quilting, I generally used YLI, and for hand piecing, I used plain ol' Coats & Clark.

Vanuatu Jill 02-15-2011 11:28 AM

I mostly hand-quilt-I use Gutermann's-having said that, I recently bought Coats & Clarks-it was 50% off and had just the right color for a quilt i'm doing, and I HATE it!! It starts to frey about 1/2 way down the piece. I have changed needles and tried knotting it the other direction, but nothing is helping. I am using the same needles I always do (John James) and the batting I have used numerous times, and it has never happened with my Gutermann's. Guess this is the last quilt I will use C & C's hand-quilting thread! I also like Aurofil and Gutermann's for machine piecing, and hand-sewing. I LOVE silk thread for invisible applique by hand, and will use my CC's for mostly basting.

Shunem 02-15-2011 11:40 AM

I understand from the woman at the LQS that Coats and Clark has changed the way they are making their thread---I agree because I bought a spool recently and it's AWFUL! It's wiry, stiff, and linty. LQS refused to carry any more.

My stepmother (a professional quilter and instructor) told me the worst thing I could do for my Pfaff was using Coats and Clark in it. So now I piece and sew with either Gutermann's or Metrosene.

Scissor Queen 02-15-2011 11:42 AM

I only machine piece and machine quilt. I use the same thread top and bottom when piecing. Sometimes I use the same top and bottom and sometimes different when quilting. I use Mettler Silk Finish, Aurifil, Precensia and King Tut. I recently added some new threads from Wonderfil and one other brand but I haven't tried them yet.

I do hand finish the binding and I use Mettler for that.

Basically I use quality fabrics and I use quality threads on those fabrics. I do not use polyester threads.

crochetetc 02-15-2011 11:44 AM

I agree Coats and Clark have changed their thread, thankfully I found my machine likes the metrosene.

Vanuatu Jill 02-15-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shunem
I understand from the woman at the LQS that Coats and Clark has changed the way they are making their thread---I agree because I bought a spool recently and it's AWFUL! It's wiry, stiff, and linty. LQS refused to carry any more.

My stepmother (a professional quilter and instructor) told me the worst thing I could do for my Pfaff was using Coats and Clark in it. So now I piece and sew with either Gutermann's or Metrosene.

Glad to know it isn't just me! Unfortunately, unless I can match the color closely with Gutermann's, I will need to finish and just battle it out. I will go to Joann's today (if DH will drive me!) and see if I can find a close color. I REALLY hate it!! I actually have several spools of CC's hand-quilting thread I bought (50% off at Joann's) and now will never use them. What a waste! I wonder if they will take them back???

EIQuilter 02-15-2011 11:54 AM

Interesting info on Coats & Clark. I've used their dual duty thread in my Viking within the past year (not for anything quilt-related, but for other sewing) and have had no problem with it at all. Or is it the quilting thread that's the problem?

cjtinkle 02-15-2011 12:06 PM

I only piece with Presencia 60wt 3 ply cotton. I think I've tried everything, and it's my favorite hands down.

For quilting, my 3 favorites are Isacord, and Superior Threads So Fine, King Tut. I use the Bottom Line occasionally in the bobbin, but usually prefer So fine for bobbin thread.