Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Flea Markets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/flea-markets-t101012.html)

frugalfabrics 02-18-2011 07:39 PM

Do you have them in your neck of the woods?

We only have them for a few months in the summer time and I really miss them.

I enjoy going to year-round flea markets in Florida when we travel down there.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-18-2011 07:42 PM

Barb, we love flea markets in our family. However, over the years we've noticed they seem to shrink and not have nearly as much goo stuff as before. Some of my family think internet sales have really hurt the flea market.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else thinks so.

frugalfabrics 02-18-2011 07:44 PM

I have to agree with you ... everyone tries to sell their wares on line...but I still enjoy the hunt of a flea market.

CloverPatch 02-18-2011 07:45 PM

used to have a nice one, but it shut down and they built an O'reily auto parts store in its place. There is another one down the way, just never did care for that one.
Had an indoor flea market, went everyweekend it seemed. Then it got taken over by businesses, no long joe blow opening a booth, it was people selling jacuzis and vacations. Once that one went commercial, people stopped shopping and in a few months it, too was closed.
I really do miss flea markets. The people and their wares.

Quiltforme 02-18-2011 07:45 PM

I just discoved get this a goodwill, value village AND a flea market right in a row next too each other felt like I died and went to heaven!!

Holly 02-18-2011 07:55 PM

I love Flea Markets!! We go to the BIG one in Canton Texas every year!! Takes about 2 days to walk through it all!!

Lisa 02-18-2011 08:00 PM

I love going to them also. Out here where I live there are several to choose from if you don't mind a little bit of driving. I'm also not to far from Canton but I haven't been to that one in years. It got too big! I like the smaller ones. The last few years I have gone to Antique Alley in Cleburne Tx and it has been a blast!

Holly 02-18-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa
I love going to them also. Out here where I live there are several to choose from if you don't mind a little bit of driving. I'm also not to far from Canton but I haven't been to that one in years. It got too big! I like the smaller ones. The last few years I have gone to Antique Alley in Cleburne Tx and it has been a blast!

How far away is this from Canton?

laurlync 02-18-2011 08:13 PM

We have one outdoor flea market that is only open during the warmer months. However, we do have several indoor flea markets and I love going to browse.

Canton is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away. My mother and I have gone there and rented a room on "the Mountain" and shopped, and shopped, and shopped!!! We had a blast. We wanted to go again this year, but my son is getting married in April and there will be too much going on this spring and we prefer not to go during the really hot summer months. Maybe this fall...

Rebecca VLQ 02-18-2011 08:39 PM

Yup, we've got one that's nearly all year round in Raleigh. Super good time, even if you're just browsing.