Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What's your favorite rhubarb recipe? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/whats-your-favorite-rhubarb-recipe-t126170.html)

twistedstitcher 05-27-2011 06:37 PM

My rhubarb is soon going to overtake my garden if I don't start using some of it. Anyone have a favorite recipe using rhubarb?

yolanda 05-27-2011 06:38 PM

My Aunt used to make the BEST rhubarb pie -- I don't have the recipe though, sorry.

blueangel 05-27-2011 06:41 PM

I don't like rubarb so therefore I don't have any recipes.

Becky Mc 05-27-2011 06:42 PM

crisp, crunch, bread, just about anything rhubarb I like just google rhubarb and you will fine a couple of sites that only have rhubarb recieps on them. Just made crunch today it was great.

MissSandra 05-27-2011 06:44 PM

This is delicious, Everyone loves it!!! i double it and do it in a deep dish
Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble

May 2010
Ingredients
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
Large pinch of salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup husked hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 pound strawberries, hulled, halved (about 4 cups)
12 ounces rhubarb (preferably bright red), ends trimmed, stalks cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
Vanilla ice cream
Preparation
Combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Add butter. Rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in clumps. Mix in oats and nuts. DO AHEAD Topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend well. Add strawberries and rhubarb to sugar in bowl; toss to coat well. Scrape fruit filling into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle oat topping evenly over filling.
Bake crumble until filling bubbles thickly and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes

twistedstitcher 05-27-2011 06:45 PM

Thank you Sandra...that does sound DELISH!

MissSandra 05-27-2011 06:50 PM

Everyone loves it and I always make so much when I bake I share!!! today i sent the visiting nurse a 1/2 sheet of brownies to share with the office when I make this the mechanic and his lovely wife and father mother get there share. if you get little pie tins you can make a few extra to share with friends hazel nuts can be pricy here think about changing it out with almonds or another you might think would go with it.

Annaquilts 05-27-2011 07:03 PM

Just cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces, steam in a little water with lid on pot, add a little corn starch and a liberal amount of sugar, stir to thicken and serve over steamed potato cubes either hot or chilled. We make and use it like apple sauce. I'll be right there! I just broke the bank buying a large bundle at the store for $2.50 a pound. It brings back so many good memories of growing up in Europe.

twistedstitcher 05-27-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Just cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces, steam in a little water with lid on pot, add a little corn starch and a liberal amount of sugar, stir to thicken and serve over steamed potato cubes either hot or chilled. We make and use it like apple sauce. I'll be right there! I just broke the bank buying a large bundle at the store for $2.50 a pound. It brings back so many good memories of growing up in Europe.

Where did you buy it? I have a friend in Santa Monica who's looking for some.

cherrio 05-27-2011 07:20 PM

I figure I got thru nearly 60 yrs without tasting rhubarb and I don't want to ruin my record now. my mom loved the pie but never got us kids to try it. but the above receipe sounds good. maybe I'll make it for my kids.