Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does this happen to anyone else?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-happen-anyone-else-t130410.html)

buddy'smom 06-14-2011 08:04 AM

When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??

erstan947 06-14-2011 08:10 AM

Yep! I don't do anything for very long at a time. My computer and sewing machine are at right angles so I sew a little and check the QB for a while. Then I do something like dust clean bathroom, etc. Be sure to get in frequent breaks.

Favorite Fabrics 06-14-2011 08:11 AM

It's always good to move around and not stay put in one place for too long. Get up, stretch, twist & bend, touch your toes, reach for the sky... get yourself a treat...

I don't get a backache from sitting at the sewing machine, but I do get a lot of tension if I stay at it too long. Ditto with being at the computer.

jodimarie 06-14-2011 08:11 AM

i have my Brother 1500 set up on a high table/counter and do all my sewing/quilting standing up. I do take 'sit down' breaks at the compter every 30 minutes or so. works for me!!

jodi

QuiltnCowgirl 06-14-2011 08:12 AM

Last November I found myself in the emergency room with severe back pain that I thought was a kidney infection, ovary or something down there. Turned out to be nothing more than a bad muscle spasm & sprain. "Earned" after a week of serious quilting for hours on end. It seems that not only sitting for too long, but also the up, down, up down when pressing, and then sitting for hours handsewing that darn binding on, all contributed to sending my muscles into major spasms & sprain.

buddy'smom 06-14-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
i have my Brother 1500 set up on a high table/counter and do all my sewing/quilting standing up. I do take 'sit down' breaks at the compter every 30 minutes or so. works for me!!

jodi

I have tried this PP is easier when standing, I just love to quilt, but may have to slow down a bit here & there.

irishrose 06-14-2011 08:19 AM

Not when piecing, but SITD gets me every time. I think it's the tension of it having to be so perfect. Plus the quilt is getting bulky by then. I was looking at those Posture Pleasers. I ended up putting 2 pounds of weight in a child's backpack. My back didn't get sore FMQ this time. I also need to keep my chair the right height so I'm not bending forward. That makes a huge difference.

Painiacs 06-14-2011 08:28 AM

I have a bad back so can only sew in small spurts. I sew for a bit, have to lie down, do housework , sit I recliner pin , sew, repeat ! Not fast but works for me ! During bad periods I have to hand sew because I cand bend over machine.

mom-6 06-14-2011 08:36 AM

I've discovered that my back is most likely to 'get' me when I've been doing too much cutting. Apparently my cutting table is not at a good height. When I figure out what height it needs to be, maybe that won't be a problem anymore.
Once I determined the right height for my chair at the sewing machine, that really helped.

quiltsRfun 06-14-2011 08:36 AM

I have that problem so I take frequent breaks and if I'm feeling a little stiff I put heat on my back while I relax for a few minutes. Seems to help for me. Also, I have a lumbar support pillow that helps.