Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anybody-else-have-trouble-making-yourself-bind-quilt-t141778.html)

DebbieJJ 08-01-2011 04:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've got a 120" x 120" that I just hate the thought of binding! I'm going to piece the binding because I don't have enough left over of any one of the fabrics to match. I think that is the problem I'm having, trying to think of the way I want to do it....plus, I used some blankets pieced together, in place of the batting, so it is extra heavy. :? :? Won't do that again!
:thumbdown:

Pic of quilt ready to be bound
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234728[/ATTACH]

closup of quilting -- it's only my 2nd attempt at long-arm quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234729[/ATTACH]

The back of the quilt, showing the 2 colors I will bind it with. Lots of loose threads to clip!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234733[/ATTACH]

earlylace 08-01-2011 04:14 AM

your quilt is pretty, I always worry about getting the corner right when binding, thats what puts me off.

alikat110 08-01-2011 04:16 AM

Beautiful. I saw a previous post where a board member offerred services to bind quilts. Maybe you can send it out for binding?

RenaB 08-01-2011 04:18 AM

Yes, when all is done and all that is left is the binding. I have to set it aside, take a day or two break and try again. The binding brings it all together and important part so I do not want to ruin it in the end.

I think have different fabric for the binding would be great. It will tie in with the pattern in the quilt. Do you have enough to do the same of each fabric on a whole side?

Not sure if that makes sense, Like the right side all pink, the bottom all white, the left etc etc etc.

Nice job on the LA too :)

mltquilt 08-01-2011 04:18 AM

You are not alone. I have a friend that has done several of mine. It is not my favorite thing as I am not particularly fond of hand sewing.

mltquilt

patchsamkim 08-01-2011 04:19 AM

That is a big quilt to bind...but pretty...and will be worth the effort. Hopefully once you get started, you will get excited about getting the quilt done.
Maybe divide it up into 4 days and do a side each day...and if you have to have a small reward for yourself each day after you do each side.

grannie cheechee 08-01-2011 04:24 AM

Just take your time, don't panic, and go real slow when sewing the binding to the quilt. With one that big, have a chair or table to keep the weight of it from pulling. Think positive (I'm almost finished) with a beautiful quilt.

katyquilter 08-01-2011 04:28 AM

Binding is the final chorce, then you're totally finished with the quilt :-D :-D Makes me want to do it so I can show and tell.

purrfectquilts 08-01-2011 04:40 AM

Binding is the finish of all your hard work ... but it is not my favorite part either. I think your idea of using multiple fabrics for the binding is great. I, personally, would use shorter strips, like 18" or 20" of each fabric, and seam them together with a 45 degree seam into a long enough strip. Then measure carefully so that you are not ending on a corner or with the same two strips together at the end. You may have to fudge a little at the end but it will look very nice with your quilt.

Jennifer22206 08-01-2011 04:43 AM

Oh I love binding!! That's my favorite part of quilting. :) I do a lot of binding for other people.

I think that it looks great, and if you did a scrappy binding, maybe 18-24 inches (alternate the size of the strips for binding) it would look fantastic!