Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   LAND Lines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/land-lines-t143011.html)

gypsyquilter 08-06-2011 03:40 AM

i'm thinking about getting rid of our house land line. no one calls us on it, and we always reach for the mobile phone vs the land line.

if you have gotten ride of yours, have you ever missed it?

sueisallaboutquilts 08-06-2011 03:44 AM

I would love to get rid of mine but it's hooked up to our security system.

grann of 6 08-06-2011 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
i'm thinking about getting rid of our house land line. no one calls us on it, and we always reach for the mobile phone vs the land line.

if you have gotten ride of yours, have you ever missed it?

I don't have a cell phone, so yes I have a land line. But when my son moved into his house down the road from me, he never got a land line. And my daughter has a farm up in the Pocono Mountains where they spend a lot of time and never got a land line there. It probably makes sense for most people to have just the cell phone, but it depends on your situation I guess.

ssgramma 08-06-2011 03:50 AM

We have had only our cell phones for 7+ years now.

june6995 08-06-2011 03:52 AM

Some areas are using the land line phones for Reverse 911 calls when there is bad weather. They found out that few people had active land line phones and began asking them to register their cell phone numbers for Weather related Emergencies.

Does your community use sirens to warn of severe weather? This system of calling each home, simultaneously, could help save lives, especially for those who may live far away from the siren and would not hear it because of wind direction or inside household noises.

June in Cincinnati

bearisgray 08-06-2011 03:54 AM

We've considered getting rid of our land line. We took the long-distance service off it several years ago.

However, that's the phone/number that I prefer to have messages left on/at - because I don't carry my cell phone around with me most of the time. My DH doesn't either, and our DS has to have his phone turned off while he's at work.

We also use it to help me locate my cell phone when I misplace it. :oops:

janell2009 08-06-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
We've considered getting rid of our land line. We took the long-distance service off it several years ago.

However, that's the phone/number that I prefer to have messages left on/at - because I don't carry my cell phone around with me most of the time. My DH doesn't either, and our DS has to have his phone turned off while he's at work.

We also use it to help me locate my cell phone when I misplace it. :oops:

hehehe... we have considered letting go of our land line, but it is the phone number we have had for 30 plus years. You are correct no one we know uses that line. It is the line we put on forms and such so we get business calls on that line. We usually do not give business contacts our cell phones. So I guess we will keep it as it is like $10 a month... so is still a good value..

TanyaL 08-06-2011 04:30 AM

Our internet comes in on our land line connection. It's a DSL line I think. However, we have the land line so that we cannot make a long distance call on it. We do that on the cell phone and that knocked the price down about $50.

Mellina 08-06-2011 04:42 AM

I need my land-line for faxing paperwork. Otherwise I use the cell phone.

bstock 08-06-2011 04:52 AM

Look into Vonage. Works with your internet connection. A lot cheaper then our land line. You can keep your current phone number.