Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Block of the Month (BotM) July 15th, 2007 - Directions & Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/block-month-botm-july-15th-2007-directions-discussion-t1437.html)

k_jupiter 07-14-2007 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi y'all,

Here is the scoop. I designed this block several months ago after looking at Carol Doak's "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars". A great book I will add.

I like her stars, but none of them are what I wanted, a Compass Star.

So I designed my own. The instructions given in the pdf below are learned from Ms. Doak's book and I give her full credit. The pattern though is mine.

I had several other ideas in mind, but work and projects that need doing kept me from exploring those ideas in the last couple of months. After I saw how well Connie Hadba's Compass Star went over, I decided this would be the BotM for July 15th.

Many thanks to my pattern tester and translator, Patrice J.

Feel free to ask questions.

tim in san jose

Pattern and Instructions for July 15th's BotM.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57616[/ATTACH]

Country Quilter 07-14-2007 03:54 PM

ok nevermind on the other post....found this but it won't download????? what am I doing wrong??

k_jupiter 07-14-2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Country Quilter
ok nevermind on the other post....found this but it won't download????? what am I doing wrong??

You have to go right on the word "Download"

I did the same thing.

tim

patricej 07-14-2007 04:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
the second two of these are for yvonne and marcella. i don't know anybody else brave (or crazy) enough to try them this small. i sure as heck ain't gonna. :shock:

P.S. I just added templates for a 12" version for those who don't like to paper piece. Just follow the diagram to see which pieces go where.

it's on page 3 of this thread.

k_jupiter 07-14-2007 04:11 PM

OH!

Happy Birthday Carla! You are what, like 17?

tim

isnthatodd 07-14-2007 05:06 PM

I am going to give the 4 inch a try. I love paper piecing, and this looks like a challenge. Thanks, Tim.

ceannastahr 07-14-2007 07:36 PM

I'm a little scared. espicaly after the trouble I had with the cabbage rose and the star. I love the block always have so I guess now is as good a time as any to do it.

k_jupiter 07-14-2007 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ceannastahr
I'm a little scared. espicaly after the trouble I had with the cabbage rose and the star. I love the block always have so I guess now is as good a time as any to do it.

The secret to paper piecing is taking your time and using an open toe presser foot on your machine so you can see exactly where the needle is going in. That book I referenced came with a teach yerself DVD that helped alot.

go gettum ceannastahr

tim in san jose

ceannastahr 07-14-2007 08:34 PM

OK I pick the fabric and will start to tackle it tomorrow I'm not going to let this one defeat me. If you don't hear from me in 2 days SEND HELP

Norah 07-15-2007 09:44 AM

Tim!! OY!! :shock: Now you went and done it. You had to pick one that scares me! I think this one is going to take a while. Thanks for the challenge, I think.