Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Block of the Month (BotM) July 15th, 2007 - Directions & Discussion

  1. #1
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Hi y'all,

    Here is the scoop. I designed this block several months ago after looking at Carol Doak's "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars". A great book I will add.

    I like her stars, but none of them are what I wanted, a Compass Star.

    So I designed my own. The instructions given in the pdf below are learned from Ms. Doak's book and I give her full credit. The pattern though is mine.

    I had several other ideas in mind, but work and projects that need doing kept me from exploring those ideas in the last couple of months. After I saw how well Connie Hadba's Compass Star went over, I decided this would be the BotM for July 15th.

    Many thanks to my pattern tester and translator, Patrice J.

    Feel free to ask questions.

    tim in san jose

    Pattern and Instructions for July 15th's BotM.

  2. #2
    Country Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,018
    ok nevermind on the other post....found this but it won't download????? what am I doing wrong??

  3. #3
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Quilter
    ok nevermind on the other post....found this but it won't download????? what am I doing wrong??
    You have to go right on the word "Download"

    I did the same thing.

    tim


  4. #4
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,167
    Blog Entries
    3
    the second two of these are for yvonne and marcella. i don't know anybody else brave (or crazy) enough to try them this small. i sure as heck ain't gonna. :shock:

    P.S. I just added templates for a 12" version for those who don't like to paper piece. Just follow the diagram to see which pieces go where.

    it's on page 3 of this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    OH!

    Happy Birthday Carla! You are what, like 17?

    tim

  6. #6
    Super Member isnthatodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Garland, TX
    Posts
    1,957
    I am going to give the 4 inch a try. I love paper piecing, and this looks like a challenge. Thanks, Tim.

  7. #7
    Super Member ceannastahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt. Morris NY
    Posts
    1,151
    I'm a little scared. espicaly after the trouble I had with the cabbage rose and the star. I love the block always have so I guess now is as good a time as any to do it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by ceannastahr
    I'm a little scared. espicaly after the trouble I had with the cabbage rose and the star. I love the block always have so I guess now is as good a time as any to do it.
    The secret to paper piecing is taking your time and using an open toe presser foot on your machine so you can see exactly where the needle is going in. That book I referenced came with a teach yerself DVD that helped alot.

    go gettum ceannastahr

    tim in san jose

  9. #9
    Super Member ceannastahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt. Morris NY
    Posts
    1,151
    OK I pick the fabric and will start to tackle it tomorrow I'm not going to let this one defeat me. If you don't hear from me in 2 days SEND HELP

  10. #10
    Norah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    659
    Tim!! OY!! :shock: Now you went and done it. You had to pick one that scares me! I think this one is going to take a while. Thanks for the challenge, I think.

  11. #11
    Senior Member annmarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rhinelander, WI
    Posts
    874
    Tim - I have my fabrics chosen & can't wait to start pp. Do you think it might help those who are hesitant/fearful if you made a list of the numbered pieces & color coded them using your finished block as an example?

  12. #12
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,167
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    Tim - I have my fabrics chosen & can't wait to start pp. Do you think it might help those who are hesitant/fearful if you made a list of the numbered pieces & color coded them using your finished block as an example?
    Try this. Just use the rectangle sizes and ignore the rotary cutting angles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Senior Member annmarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rhinelander, WI
    Posts
    874
    Patrice - WOW!!!!! Did you just whip that up? It should be a great help to everyone. Thanks.

  14. #14
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    Tim - I have my fabrics chosen & can't wait to start pp. Do you think it might help those who are hesitant/fearful if you made a list of the numbered pieces & color coded them using your finished block as an example?
    Try this. Just use the rectangle sizes and ignore the rotary cutting angles.
    Very good, thank you Patrice... but you fergot 'A' and 'D'. So A,B,C,D are all the same color. 'A' and 'D' are larger in the raw form than 'B' and 'C'.

    'J' and 'F' are the same color, 'G' and 'I' are the same color. Of course, they can all be different too. You are the artist.

    tim in san jose

  15. #15
    Senior Member DebJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    TN originally now in MS
    Posts
    430
    Where can I find an open toe foot for a low shank 30 year old Kenmore machine?

  16. #16
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,167
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    Tim - I have my fabrics chosen & can't wait to start pp. Do you think it might help those who are hesitant/fearful if you made a list of the numbered pieces & color coded them using your finished block as an example?
    Try this. Just use the rectangle sizes and ignore the rotary cutting angles.
    Very good, thank you Patrice... but you fergot 'A' and 'D'. So A,B,C,D are all the same color. 'A' and 'D' are larger in the raw form than 'B' and 'C'.

    'J' and 'F' are the same color, 'G' and 'I' are the same color. Of course, they can all be different too. You are the artist.

    tim in san jose
    first of all ... i didn't fergits nuthin'. EQ left them out for some reason. i just didn't notice. and it does it every time. very odd. :?

    second of all ... you make me dizzy :shock:

    third of all (for DebJ) ... google on "low shank open toe foot" and a healthy list of sources pops up. here's one that sells the foot for $5.99 (plus shipping i assume)

    http://www.agreatnotion.com/catalogue/enter.html?lang=en-uk&target=d71_01.html


  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    33
    ok what do i got to do to see theese pieces.

  18. #18
    community benefactor ShellyQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    933
    Er thanks Tim, I think lol. Have always wanted to do a foundation pieced mariners compass so this will get me started. I am doing 9" blocks for the BOM. Having a bit of trouble drawing this one up in EQ, so it might be back to ye olde graph paper for me :lol:

  19. #19
    Super Member ceannastahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt. Morris NY
    Posts
    1,151
    The info is there for an 8" block just have extra on edges or ask Patrice she did them up

  20. #20
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyQ
    Er thanks Tim, I think lol. Have always wanted to do a foundation pieced mariners compass so this will get me started. I am doing 9" blocks for the BOM. Having a bit of trouble drawing this one up in EQ, so it might be back to ye olde graph paper for me :lol:
    A copy machine with a 75% reduction?

    tim in san jose

  21. #21
    community benefactor ShellyQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyQ
    Er thanks Tim, I think lol. Have always wanted to do a foundation pieced mariners compass so this will get me started. I am doing 9" blocks for the BOM. Having a bit of trouble drawing this one up in EQ, so it might be back to ye olde graph paper for me :lol:
    A copy machine with a 75% reduction?

    tim in san jose
    TahDa! Brilliant thinking, now why didn't I think of that :mrgreen:

  22. #22
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,167
    Blog Entries
    3
    9 inches it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,733
    Tim,
    Thank you for the lovely challenge! As soon as we clear the decks of grandkids I'll be pulling out my fabrics. I can hardly wait. I'm pretty sure I'll need focus though!
    Patrice thank you for the alternate sizes. I may have to try one of each size... just because!
    I can hardly wait!!!

  24. #24
    Carla P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    OH!

    Happy Birthday Carla! You are what, like 17?

    tim
    19!! :lol: NOT!! 35!! Thank you so much!!!!! :D :D Sorry I am just visiting the board but I've been out of town. Tim, you picked my FAVORITE block to post on my birthday!! (I know it's a coincidence, but what a super cool one!!!) I love the Mariner's Compass above all other blocks!!! Thank you!!! I am SOOOO far behind on my BoTM's, that I may never catch up, but I will have to start the process with this one & work my way backward. :mrgreen:

    Thanks again both of you, Tim & Patrice!! Y'all are GREAT!!!!!

  25. #25
    Country Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,018
    Tim...I was finally able to download the pattern... took me awhile to figure it out but I did it! I love your star but paper piecing and I don't get along at all..... so I get to sit back and watch everyone else make this beauty! Can't wait to see all the results! Good job on the pattern!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.