Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-cover-t146113.html)

aeble 08-18-2011 01:15 PM

I guess it's possible to wear out the padding on an ironing board. . . didn't really expect this to happen, but I need to replace it. I can actually see the pattern of the metal through the cover.

Rather than buying a new one, I was thinking I'd make my own with some fabric I love. I'm not sure what to use for padding. I typically only use low loft cotton or wool battings. Would they work? Or, what about a towel as the padding? Before I started sewing and needed an ironing board, I'd just iron my clothing on a towel on the table. Thoughts?

erstan947 08-18-2011 01:22 PM

I used cotton batting for a portable ironing surface and it has done very well.

craftybear 08-18-2011 01:23 PM

yes, I have found lots of links to make for ironing board covers, will post later on this evening for you

Originally Posted by aeble
I guess it's possible to wear out the padding on an ironing board. . . didn't really expect this to happen, but I need to replace it. I can actually see the pattern of the metal through the cover.

Rather than buying a new one, I was thinking I'd make my own with some fabric I love. I'm not sure what to use for padding. I typically only use low loft cotton or wool battings. Would they work? Or, what about a towel as the padding? Before I started sewing and needed an ironing board, I'd just iron my clothing on a towel on the table. Thoughts?

aeble 08-18-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks Crafty Bear. I did a search to see what had been posted so far, but everything seemed to be focused on the cover and not the padding itself.

dforesee 08-18-2011 01:37 PM

I saw an adorable tutorial on a blog where a lady had taken a wooden TV tray table she found on clearance. Cut several pieces of batting the size of the top and stacked them. She cut a rectangle of her choice of cover fabric 4 inches larger than the table top all the way around. She laid the cover fabric on a work surface right side down, centered the stack of batting pieces on top of that and then put the tv table upside down on top of that, folded the fabric tightly around to the bottom side of table and secured with a staple gun. Due to the wood's hardness, staples didn't go all the way in, but she finished driving them in with a small hammer. She said it made a perfect foldable ironing table to sit by her sewing machine and use while piecing quilt tops. You couldn't use this to iron your clothes of course, but I thought it sounded perfect for pressing seams as you piece.

leatheflea 08-18-2011 02:26 PM

I use batting also, theres a cute tute on modabakeshop.com

Lori S 08-18-2011 02:28 PM

I used a towel double folded and then a piece of cotton fabric on top. I like it as it far more washable than the store bought covers.

mtspools 08-18-2011 02:59 PM

I have used old towels,and blankets

mim 08-18-2011 03:07 PM

I bought my fav ironing board cover in Melbourne Australia at a market. It has Aussi animals and birds and bright colors. My friends thought I was nuts -- On a backpacking holiday and I buy an ironing board cover?? !!! LOL

I wouldn't trade it for the world. I remember that holiday every time I press seams -- the only time I iron

Make the cover with a fabric you love. Look into heat resistant material for the first "batting" and then something soft. The first one will protect the soft one.

Holice 08-18-2011 03:19 PM

it deends on how much loft or padding you want. I used two layers of warm and natural and then the cover.