Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you have said something????????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-have-said-something-t150632.html)

GrannieAnnie 09-05-2011 11:39 AM

Last week I was in Hobby Lobby looking for fabric for the new girls in my life. There was a young gal at the cutting counter getting fabric for curtains for a window. She told the cutter her window was 45" long and she wanted enough for two lengths, ie 2 1/2 yards.

Now, by my calculation that would cover a window 45" long, but there's be no allowance for a header of any sort, nor for a hem of any sort. I keep waiting for the cutter to remind her that she needed to allow for both.

NOt one word from the cutter, who I later learned is new and knows NOTHING about Hobby Lobby or about fabric.

Now I feel guilty about letting that gal out of the business without telling her about the headers and hems.

What would you have done?

irishrose 09-05-2011 11:42 AM

I would have had to say something. I have five children, most of whom I taught to sew, years of Girl Scouts with some sewing projects, and a few years working at JoAnn's. The easiest classes I taught there were valances and curtains. I couldn't let anyone go home with something that wouldn't work out. That's how discouraged sewers begin.

Favorite Fabrics 09-05-2011 11:43 AM

I would have spoken up. Probably the customer would have been happy to have anyone with some experience/expertise to consult with.

MzMcKee 09-05-2011 11:43 AM

I can't help myself.. but I aways find myself stepping in if I think it would be helpful. Sometimes I get in trouble because I didn't hear the start, but I always seem to find myself doing it...

isnthatodd 09-05-2011 11:43 AM

Depending on how approachable the customer looked, I might have said something. In the past I have offered my opinion and sometimes it was well received and sometimes I got an earful. A word to the manager, even now, might help let him or her know that some training might help.

bluteddi 09-05-2011 11:43 AM

I would have struck up a conversation with the customer... and worked the mesurments into that converation..... I bet she is sick about not having enough fabric now...

donnajean 09-05-2011 11:44 AM

I have a big mouth & probably would have contributed my opinion.

tinliz 09-05-2011 11:44 AM

Knowing my big mouth and want to be helpful nature, I probably would have said something. :)

GrannieAnnie 09-05-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Depending on how approachable the customer looked, I might have said something. In the past I have offered my opinion and sometimes it was well received and sometimes I got an earful. A word to the manager, even now, might help let him or her know that some training might help.

I do feel bad about not speaking up. And I have though about calling and speaking to the manager. In my past exerience, however, Hobby Lobby is not receptive to outside infomation.

Quilter7x 09-05-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I have a big mouth & probably would have contributed my opinion.

LOL, I also have a big mouth - but I have a big heart also and would have felt really bad if I didn't say something. Hopefully the lady another kind of coordinating fabric in her stash or was able to do something else that made the curtains work for her.