Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you have said something?????????

Last week I was in Hobby Lobby looking for fabric for the new girls in my life. There was a young gal at the cutting counter getting fabric for curtains for a window. She told the cutter her window was 45" long and she wanted enough for two lengths, ie 2 1/2 yards.

Now, by my calculation that would cover a window 45" long, but there's be no allowance for a header of any sort, nor for a hem of any sort. I keep waiting for the cutter to remind her that she needed to allow for both.

NOt one word from the cutter, who I later learned is new and knows NOTHING about Hobby Lobby or about fabric.

Now I feel guilty about letting that gal out of the business without telling her about the headers and hems.

What would you have done?

Blog Entries
    I would have had to say something. I have five children, most of whom I taught to sew, years of Girl Scouts with some sewing projects, and a few years working at JoAnn's. The easiest classes I taught there were valances and curtains. I couldn't let anyone go home with something that wouldn't work out. That's how discouraged sewers begin.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I would have spoken up. Probably the customer would have been happy to have anyone with some experience/expertise to consult with.

I can't help myself.. but I aways find myself stepping in if I think it would be helpful. Sometimes I get in trouble because I didn't hear the start, but I always seem to find myself doing it...

Depending on how approachable the customer looked, I might have said something. In the past I have offered my opinion and sometimes it was well received and sometimes I got an earful. A word to the manager, even now, might help let him or her know that some training might help.

I would have struck up a conversation with the customer... and worked the mesurments into that converation..... I bet she is sick about not having enough fabric now...

I have a big mouth & probably would have contributed my opinion.

Knowing my big mouth and want to be helpful nature, I probably would have said something. :)

Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Depending on how approachable the customer looked, I might have said something. In the past I have offered my opinion and sometimes it was well received and sometimes I got an earful. A word to the manager, even now, might help let him or her know that some training might help.
    I do feel bad about not speaking up. And I have though about calling and speaking to the manager. In my past exerience, however, Hobby Lobby is not receptive to outside infomation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    LOL, I also have a big mouth - but I have a big heart also and would have felt really bad if I didn't say something. Hopefully the lady another kind of coordinating fabric in her stash or was able to do something else that made the curtains work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    LOL, I also have a big mouth - but I have a big heart also and would have felt really bad if I didn't say something. Hopefully the lady another kind of coordinating fabric in her stash or was able to do something else that made the curtains work for her.

I don't think this woman was a sewer. Hopefully, she'll find someone to help her add headers and hems and some extra inches.

Blog Entries
    I would have said be sure to remember to add the hem and rod casing amounts to your total needed and the tie backs if you are using them. If she gave me a huffy look I would have smiled and said I'm nosy.

Maybe she can come back for enough to add a ruffle or a add on header. I probably would have said something if it dawned on me at the time what was happening. Many times that kind of thing doesn't strike me as to what was said until too late.

Being afflicted with bossy teacher syndrome, just kidding, I'm not that bossy, I probably would have if I thought it would have been well received.

I would probably have said something if I noticed the problem, but I would more likely be focused on my purchase and trying to decide how much of each fabric to buy. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't speak up; she will just come in and buy some more to complete the project. Or maybe she was making cafe curtains and they would start half-way down the window, or perhaps she had another fabric that would be combined with what she bought. I no longer expect the person in JoAnn's or other chain stores doing the cutting to have any knowledge about sewing, although it's a pleasant surprise if she does. Sometimes I'm asked what I'm making and I say I'm just adding to my stash. Sometimes the look I get tells me I might as well be speaking Greek.

I think I would have said something

I would probably have said something as well.

I would have offered my opinion, worst that would happen is she wouldn't take your advice; but you could have left knowing your did your best to help.
    It is terribly annoying that help is not properly trained nowadays in many stores; and is VERY annoying when they try to pretend they know what they are talking about even.

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I would have struck up a conversation with the customer... and worked the mesurments into that converation..... I bet she is sick about not having enough fabric now...
    Me too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I would probably have said something if I noticed the problem, but I would more likely be focused on my purchase and trying to decide how much of each fabric to buy. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't speak up; she will just come in and buy some more to complete the project. Or maybe she was making cafe curtains and they would start half-way down the window, or perhaps she had another fabric that would be combined with what she bought. I no longer expect the person in JoAnn's or other chain stores doing the cutting to have any knowledge about sewing, although it's a pleasant surprise if she does. Sometimes I'm asked what I'm making and I say I'm just adding to my stash. Sometimes the look I get tells me I might as well be speaking Greek.
    I agree with your comment; in the first place the customer is always right and maybe the customer had other ideas with what she was purchasing.

I would have spoken up because I would have appreciated someone speaking up if that had happened to me. It is very heartbreaking to find out when you get home that you did not get enough fabric for your project....and then go back to the store to find that there wasn't any more of that fabric left.

I would asked if it was OK to ask her a question. That way you would have permission to but in.

If I was paying attention, I would have said something.

Blog Entries
    Don''t kick yourself. Obviously, the customer didn't know anything about making window coverings, either. No doubt, a big mistake here but both clerk and customer share the blame, not you.

Blog Entries
    Opinion...everyone has one and I always express mine whether asked for or not. I always engage in conversation with whoever is waiting in the cutting line. Guess that is how I get away with putting in my 2 cents worth. :D

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast