Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t151602.html)

kerrytaylor 09-09-2011 08:39 AM

I am piecing my first quilt top. My original plan was to send it out to have the quilting done but as its progressed I wonder if I can/should try to machine quilt it myself. My lightweight Brother came w a quilting foot. At this point I don't even know how to attach it to the machine. I know people do this on these little machines and it looks great. I just don't know HOW to do it, how to squish all of that fabric into such a tiny area and actually be able to sew at the same time and have it remain a quilt rather than a balled,up, seam ripped mess. This quilt, mind you, is queen size. Does anyone know of a good tutorial or have thoughts on this topic? For those of you have done this, what has yor experience been? I know I need to practice, practice, practice but I think I need more than that.

jljack 09-09-2011 08:40 AM

Get on You Tube and look for Machine Quilting videos....there are some great videos that show you exactly how to do it.

Good luck...come back here for help.

wuv2quilt 09-09-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Get on You Tube and look for Machine Quilting videos....there are some great videos that show you exactly how to do it.

Good luck...come back here for help.

Thanks jljack...I've been wondering the same thing. :)

donnajean 09-09-2011 08:44 AM

I think a queen size would be very difficult as your 1st attempt. I would practice on something smaller. I do like to finish quilts myself while my sister was one to send hers out to be quilted.

kerrytaylor 09-09-2011 08:50 AM

This quilt is a d9p. I wasnt going to do anything intricate or "swirly". I was only going to follow the shapes of each block - straight lines the whole way. I definately need to study - youtube I will definately look at - and take a deep breath. Intimidating!

LoriEl 09-09-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I think a queen size would be very difficult as your 1st attempt. I would practice on something smaller. I do like to finish quilts myself while my sister was one to send hers out to be quilted.

My thoughts exactly. I started with a twin size with simple stitch in the ditch. I did one queen size but it wasn't easy!

kerrytaylor 09-09-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl

Originally Posted by donnajean

My thoughts exactly. I started with a twin size with simple stitch in the ditch. I did one queen size but it wasn't easy!

How did your queen size turn out?

Raggiemom 09-09-2011 08:58 AM

I've done one queen and used stitch in the ditch. There are differences of opinion on whether to start in the middle or on an edge. Having it pinned or spray basted really well is crucial, as is the pressing before you quilt. I rolled up on the side I wanted under the throat but it didn't stay rolled very well. I ended up just crumpling it! Having a table behind the machine and to the side for the rest of the quilt to rest upon is helpful.

quilter1430 09-09-2011 08:59 AM

Believe me ... you do not want to quilt your queen sized quilt (and first quilt at that) on your domestic sewing machine. It will be a disaster. It's a challenge for even experienced quilters. You will end up being frustrated and will need to take out stitches. If you do want to try quilting on your machine, start with a practice piece, not the real thing.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-09-2011 08:59 AM

Practice and Youtube- that's what I've been doing :D