Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much for a Featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-featherweight-t152195.html)

stichinluvr 09-11-2011 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the opportunity to get a Featherweight but I'm thinking $475 is a little expensive. I'm wondering what you think. I'm not sure if I can attach a pictur or not, but I'll try.

Thanks for the input.

ckcowl 09-11-2011 02:49 PM

wow- to me that seems really expensive- but it might not be- check around- check ebay- & craigs list- check the vintage machine topic here& see what others have paid for theirs-
i do know location matters- so in your area that may be right-
but i think if you decide you want a vintage machine- be it a featherweight- or any other you should set yourself a (price limit) how expensive you are willing to go- then just look until you find the one that fits into your budget....if you are willing to pay that much for one- then it's a good price.
i spent 3 years looking for my second machine- then found my little beauty for $20...and it is WONDERFUL! no-it's not a featherweight- it's a 1956 singer 99K=
runs great- is a pleasure to use- and the price was sure right!

donnajean 09-11-2011 02:58 PM

Machine & case look to be in great shape. You don't see many cases looking that good. When I was watching, I did notice that the white ones were going for more $. Is it being sold by original owner or a resale for profit?

Mitch's mom 09-11-2011 03:01 PM

Unless you really have to have a celery (white) one and can't find one anywhere else - it is still too much.

I'm sure you have already investigated and know there are vast differences (not such good ones either) between the black 221's and the beige and white featherweights.

MaryAnna 09-11-2011 03:01 PM

The white ones are more expensive, and with a case is even more $$$. If she purrs like a kitten when you sew...buy it! The ones on ebay fetch around $250.00- $350.00 for the black ones, the white are much more. And if there's a case, it's even more.
I've been watching the ones on ebay, and they always go out of my price range!
Blessings,
MaryAnna

blueangel 09-11-2011 03:01 PM

I'm sure you can find one cheaper than that.

irishrose 09-11-2011 03:01 PM

At the sale I was at yesterday, the white ones were that much and more. Black ones were generally less than $300.

stichinluvr 09-11-2011 04:37 PM

I've been looking and I can get one of the new Featherweights for about $250. They have lots of additional perks and feet so I think that's what I'll get.

Thanks to all of you that responded. I really appreciate it.

neenee586 09-11-2011 05:47 PM

I have both, the white one is hard wired and not as zippy as the black ones. I suppose they command a higher price because not as many were made. Good Luck!

MrsGuava 09-11-2011 05:48 PM

IF you want it, you should buy it. I recently saw two black ones, the beat up one was $250, perfect $350. I have seen them for as much as $600.