Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My newest addition - Husqvarna Viking Rose 600... and a question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-newest-addition-husqvarna-viking-rose-600-question-t152287.html)

incoming2me 09-11-2011 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today was a good day :)
After sewing on my DMIL's Viking 1+ while visiting in Indiana last month, I've been searching on ebay for a 1+ for myself. Unfortunately, the ones I've seen on there have all sold for a pretty penny. Needless to say, quite a bit more than I have saved up thus far to buy one!

Posted late last night on the Houston CL... I found a Husqvarna Viking Rose. A family is clearing their mother's estate which consists of her entire quilting stash and accoutrements.

Also included was:
The embroidery unit (in original box)
Small hoop
2 embroidery cards
5 bobbins
7 feet
Walking foot
Buttonhole foot with electronic doo-hickey
A couple of other bits that I've yet to identify
Foot controller
Hard case/cover

$400 :thumbup:
Other than the missing user's manual...
The only "bad" thing that I've seen is that the previous owner was a smoker. There was a bit of yellowed nicotine on the machine but nothing too bad as I believe it was covered quite a bit. The machine cleaned up beautifully.
The case however is pretty discolored. The "smoker" odor will have to wear off I suppose. :(

Now... the question:
Does anyone know if there a way to check to see how many hours this machine has been used?

I know the newer machines have timers that will display the "lifetime" usage of the machine... I was just wondering if this one does as well.

TIA! :)

meemersmom 09-11-2011 11:07 PM

I don't think there's a "mileage counter" on this machine. I can tell you it's a good one, though. I inherited a Rose 500 from my stepmother when she died. She bought it new, and I've used it for the past few years (one of 5 machines) and it sews beautifully. You've got a good price there for the whole package. Will the family let you have it looked at and tuned up before making your decision?

incoming2me 09-11-2011 11:34 PM

I picked it up Sunday afternoon.
I was really hoping it has a timer thingey on it.

That's it... ready to sew... sitting on my breakfast room table.
It even fits into my sewing table!

KonaLinda 09-12-2011 12:32 AM

You will need a reader/writer box if you want to get designs to a blank card and into the machine for embroidery. Maybe you can contact the eller to see if they also have that item.

donnajean 09-12-2011 05:17 AM

I got my Viking Rose 600 in 1996. It was around $600.00 new. I do not have the reader/writer box & have been reluctant to invest $ into a machine this old. It sews fine & only had problems the 1st yr. with a "presser foot up" when it actually was not beeping issue. That was covered under warranty & I have not had it serviced since.

incoming2me 09-12-2011 05:29 AM

Thanks KonaLinda! I knew about the cards and the reader/writer.
Unfortunately, the mom never had those. :(
I'm not really that ambitious of an embroider right now.
However, I have an alphabet card that I'm pretty sure will get some use for DD4.

The usage timer is what I was hoping to find. The son represented the machine as having only about 5 hours of use on it as his mother had a stroke soon after purchasing it. He said that it sat unused for several years. I guess that explains why the case is so stained and the machine wasn't near as bad.

incoming2me 09-12-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I got my Viking Rose 600 in 1996. It was around $600.00 new.

Wow! You got a great deal on yours! From what I can tell they usually retailed for well over $1000 new.

Tink's Mom 09-12-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me

Wow! You got a great deal on yours! From what I can tell they usually retailed for well over $1000 new.

I never saw these at that kind of price...
I have the Viking Lily #555 which is the Rose minus the embroidery....and she was more than the $600 new. Love this machine.
The best buttonholes in the world, if you ever have the need for them. I just wish that she was a bit faster....seems like it takes forever to finish a long seam.

donnajean 09-12-2011 06:16 AM

I'll have to go back & look at my paperwork. Maybe it was $1,600

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom

Originally Posted by incoming2me

I never saw these at that kind of price...
I have the Viking Lily #555 which is the Rose minus the embroidery....and she was more than the $600 new. Love this machine.
The best buttonholes in the world, if you ever have the need for them. I just wish that she was a bit faster....seems like it takes forever to finish a long seam.

Crabby Patty 09-12-2011 06:45 AM

I got a Viking Rose about 5 yrs ago at an auction. Paid $800 for it and all the extras with 2 hoops. I larger and one smaller. It is a great machine but wouldn't do large enough embroidery for me. I gave it to one of my daughters for her birthday this year and bought a Janome 300E from Tomilu from the board here and she is going strong. Both great machines. Good luck with her.