Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-totally-different-tastes-no-ideas-what-do-t152832.html)

donnaree59 09-14-2011 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My niece is expecting and we went fabric "looking" yesterday. I say "looking" because I couldn't force myself to buy but one piece that she liked. Have any of you ever made a quilt for someone whose taste is extremely different than your own? For a baby, I LOVE bright colors! LOVE them...and even bright BUSY fabrics. She likes more neutral colors, not very busy... But now I have no idea of what kind of pattern to use. I don't want a real simple pattern because I would like to do something a little harder for this special baby (not a D9P, Rail Fence, or Warm Wishes), but I feel brain dead with this. Please help me find something that would make it look as if I was really getting into this quilt.

Tartan 09-14-2011 06:40 AM

Is that your only fabric or are you allowed to pick out the flower colours in the fabric? You could pick out the bright green and white to do a nice gender non-specific quilt. I am thinking of one of the more modern looking patterns from Ohfransom (sp) with the zigzags. Do you like the Twister look? That would look good in the colours picked out of that fabric?

loriea 09-14-2011 06:46 AM

I did 2 dark purple queen size quilt for nieces for weding gifts. They both wanted dark purple. My hands were purple before I finished both. If I never use dark purple again I I would be OK. It is much easier to give away one you don't really like.

DJ 09-14-2011 06:51 AM

Yes, I have made a quilt with fabric and pattern I really didn't like at first. I made it for DD and after making a few blocks I showed it to her and said that I'd do something different if she didn't like it. She loved it, and the more I worked on it, the more it "grew" on me. It really did turn out nicely. I'd go with what the recipient wants but directing her as far as lights/darks, etc.

Annaquilts 09-14-2011 07:05 AM

Some appliqued owls in tone on tone of the same colors as the flowers? Maybe a branch too? I don't know. I am not a big pastel person either when it comes to kids quilts.

EagarBeez 09-14-2011 07:31 AM

I happen to love colors. When I make a quilt for someone (family). I ask what colors they would like. I make the quilt. It's made out of love. I am sure she would love it.
You could bring in a lgt yellow and white stripe, pink,blue,yellow dots. Maybe just a alternate block or a log cabin. You could also get a panel and use this fabric as your backing

fivepaws 09-14-2011 07:33 AM

Yes, my niece wanted a Gee's Bend in red, black and white for her newborn. I hated every minute of it.

Honeynga 09-14-2011 07:40 AM

I had a similar experience with my niece. I wanted to do some warm yummy baby colors but she wanted jungle monkeys ! I bought jungle monkey fabric and a piece of plain fleece, sandwiched it together and tied with bright green embroidery thread. I hated every minute I was working on it.....SHE LOVED IT. Got a real sweet thank you note from her and again she said how much she loved the blanket !!!!

Now I have another niece that would love me to make her anything of my choosing...she thinks I have great taste !!! She IS a smart girl isn't she !

crafty pat 09-14-2011 07:57 AM

I made one last year that I took the chosen fabric and made a center panel then put three solid color borders matching the color's in the center. Backed it with white with dots matching the colors I used on the front. They loved it, me not so much.

MadQuilter 09-14-2011 07:57 AM

Yes, I have had to do some in high contrast which was hard. BUT I was very happy with the finished product. Actually, I like that fabric and you can put the pink, green, and blue with it. I'll go find the round robin that was done in those dainty colors. Maybe you can find inspiration there.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59682-27.htm