Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilt Police Sting Operation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilt-police-sting-operation-t155362.html)

lynn_z 09-23-2011 10:12 PM

I walked right into it. I wanted to go a class, just a one night quick thing or so I thought. I had 3 hrs to learn what I wanted to learn so didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late. I've only been to a few classes and the ones I've gone to before didn't require much so I didn't take much. Took enough precut pieces (barely) no thread, no seam ripper. I mean, if I have someone instructing me I shouldn't have to rip anything out...right? Wrong and I didn't even do the ripping out right. I grabbed my most abused rotary cutter because it was the only one I could find. Some of my pins had a little rust but when I said most of my pins were on other quilts I'm working on, she seemed disturbed and said "more than 1"? I am grateful she didn't have my address to check out my quilts or I would be in serious trouble. I left feeling very inadequate and as soon as I got home, I started organizing my needles and pins for the 1st time ever. Anyway, she did say something I can use against her if necessary. I would love to make this quilt be perfect so I could take it back to her and prove I'm nor completely inept but I think we all know that probably won't be happening anytime soon.

craftybear 09-23-2011 10:13 PM

please don't give up on quilting!

lynn_z 09-23-2011 10:15 PM

Thanks, Crafty Bear, won't give up on quilting but maybe classes!

connie_1936 09-23-2011 10:17 PM

you should have been given a supply list when you signed up for the class. the fault is the instructers not yours.

Sadiemae 09-23-2011 10:27 PM

Don't stress. I have been to classes like this before. I used to take classes before my DH passed. There was a teacher that made you feel like you just never quite did it correctly. I remember when I took one class I was astonished when she said my fabric color choices were perfect. I nearly fell off of my chair. I didn't stress, it was just her teaching style and you definitely learned a lot. (It took me days and several stores to find all of the fabrics that would go together.)

When I was teaching classes, I usually had extra supplies just in case. I also gave a supply list that students received when they registered for the classes. Because of the classes I had taken that were pretty high stress, I always made my classes very relaxed.

np3 09-23-2011 10:32 PM

I have had some nightmare classes as well. It is unfortunate that people like this are considered teachers. My worst one was the shop owner! Guess who stopped spending money there!

mmonohon 09-23-2011 10:49 PM

I always have multiple quilts going at once. Not all teachers should teach, hang in there.

maryellen2u 09-23-2011 11:22 PM

Dear Lynn,
I've taken a class from this lady!I have a special name for her. It's just not worth it! Find a friend and make your own quilt class. Then you can enjoy the wine too! It makes me so mad when I pay my hard earned money and end up being with these sorts. Give me a call so we can quilt together!

BigDog 09-23-2011 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late

There's where you lost me. It always matters when people show up late. The class was being held on a timetable and there were others involved.

Maybe I'm missing the point.

SueSew 09-23-2011 11:26 PM

Lynn, maybe you weren't there early, with shiny new pins, lots of thread, a seam ripper, and plenty of practice fabric, but you did pay for the class and show up. I think the instructor should consider his or her objective to be helping each person in class achieve their own objectives, regardless of where they are starting from. It shouldn't be the instructor's job to criticize your preparedness or arrival time, (after all, you are a grown-up, not a fifth grader!) ...just deliver the class content as best she can.
I hope you don't bear a grudge as it won't help you have fun with that quilt.
I hope you can put her criticism in your mental wastebasket and DONT GO BACK THERE TO GET MORE!
:) :) :) :) :)