Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ with fleece backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-fleece-backing-t161477.html)

weezie 10-18-2011 06:54 PM

Have any of you done or tried to do any fussy and/or extensive FMQ on a quilt that has a fleece backing and no batting? My current WIP quilt is evolving daily, which is typical for me. The end result will be lap quilt for me. I think it will be very cute and I don't want to ruin it. My latest brainwave is to use fleece for the backing & omit the batting. (Since the biggest piece of fleece is not quite wide enough for the entire back, I will be adding an extension to each side, so ... only 2 bulky seams to contend with.)

However, because fleece has a mind of its own, I'm concerned about quilting success. I have very definite ideas of how I want to quilt this; it will not be dense quilting, but requires a lot of FMQ (some 1" grid lines and some template markings). If you've been there, done that, please share that experience with me, if you will.

soccertxi 10-18-2011 07:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
When I took a class on feathering, I loaded two layers of fleece with no batt. I did a big box with my channel locks (you can get a perfectly straight line vertical or horizonal) and I feathered inside the box. When I took it off the frame, I fringed the outside of the box. The stitches just melted into the fleece.

this is the best color (middle) picture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273601[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 10-18-2011 07:11 PM

that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

soccertxi 10-18-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

Thanks Nancy. I didn't even use purple thread. I started it on Dec 23rd, of course, after the stores had closed. I just rummaged thru my limited thread choices and pulled out a green thread. There was not much contrast because they were about the same intensity. It was for my son's gf, and they broke up soon after Christmas! Glad I didn't spend too much $$ or time. Only thing I marked was the spine and some registration marks to keep the feathers as even as possible. I have 3 colors stacked up for last minute presents this year..only THIS time I plan to match thread!

bluteddi 10-18-2011 07:33 PM

I FMQ all the time on cotton top with fleece backing ( no batting) with out problems... altho I try to not have seams in the fleece.
When I do, I simply butt the edges together and do a broad zigzag.

IrelandDragonQuilting 10-18-2011 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just finished this baby quilt, it is a bit larger then the usual crib sized quilt, and really did not have any problem with the FMQ there is no batting, I just did a random stipple, or whatever that is called :)

Ngeorgia 10-18-2011 07:49 PM

Does it make a difference if it not on a frame?

IrelandDragonQuilting 10-18-2011 07:51 PM

I don't have a frame I do all of my FMQ on my little singer.

IrelandDragonQuilting 10-18-2011 07:53 PM

soccertxi that is stunning! I hope to one day be that good!

dangelica 10-18-2011 08:04 PM

Wow that is really beautiful! You also answered a question I had in mind I have kid's print fleece and a solid that I wanted to see if I could do with out batting.