Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ with fleece backing?

Have any of you done or tried to do any fussy and/or extensive FMQ on a quilt that has a fleece backing and no batting? My current WIP quilt is evolving daily, which is typical for me. The end result will be lap quilt for me. I think it will be very cute and I don't want to ruin it. My latest brainwave is to use fleece for the backing & omit the batting. (Since the biggest piece of fleece is not quite wide enough for the entire back, I will be adding an extension to each side, so ... only 2 bulky seams to contend with.)

However, because fleece has a mind of its own, I'm concerned about quilting success. I have very definite ideas of how I want to quilt this; it will not be dense quilting, but requires a lot of FMQ (some 1" grid lines and some template markings). If you've been there, done that, please share that experience with me, if you will.

When I took a class on feathering, I loaded two layers of fleece with no batt. I did a big box with my channel locks (you can get a perfectly straight line vertical or horizonal) and I feathered inside the box. When I took it off the frame, I fringed the outside of the box. The stitches just melted into the fleece.

this is the best color (middle) picture.
    Name:  Attachment-273548.jpe
Views: 63
Size:  24.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!
    Thanks Nancy. I didn't even use purple thread. I started it on Dec 23rd, of course, after the stores had closed. I just rummaged thru my limited thread choices and pulled out a green thread. There was not much contrast because they were about the same intensity. It was for my son's gf, and they broke up soon after Christmas! Glad I didn't spend too much $$ or time. Only thing I marked was the spine and some registration marks to keep the feathers as even as possible. I have 3 colors stacked up for last minute presents this year..only THIS time I plan to match thread!

I FMQ all the time on cotton top with fleece backing ( no batting) with out problems... altho I try to not have seams in the fleece.
    When I do, I simply butt the edges together and do a broad zigzag.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    I just finished this baby quilt, it is a bit larger then the usual crib sized quilt, and really did not have any problem with the FMQ there is no batting, I just did a random stipple, or whatever that is called :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does it make a difference if it not on a frame?

I don't have a frame I do all of my FMQ on my little singer.

soccertxi that is stunning! I hope to one day be that good!

Wow that is really beautiful! You also answered a question I had in mind I have kid's print fleece and a solid that I wanted to see if I could do with out batting.

absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

Lovely pictures. I have done a small-ish rag quilt using a fleece blanket for the backing and it gave me no trouble at all. This fleece which I am planning to use is thicker, but I have plenty of it and can practice (which I need to do anyway) before I put the actual quilt under the needle. Thanks so much, all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    soccertxi that is stunning! I hope to one day be that good!
    Wendy,

That was the 1st thing I did freehand feathers on. They are NOT hard, but I did draw and doodle them before I started quilting them. The trick is to not put your elbow or wrist down while you draw. you are trying to teach your SHOULDER the muscle memory of drawing the feathers. My 1st feathers were NASTY! (can you say potato chips and hot dogs?? lolol) I still get some that are not nice, but I dare you to FIND them. I gave myself permission to practice. My dogs have some REALLy nicely quilted dog beds! I also had an haHA moment when I realized that feathers look like half hearts. I can DO hearts. That helped. I also like a DVD from the Pajama Quilter called 'Pajama Quilter Reloaded'. She is very encouraging for a new FMQuilter and breaks things down into try-able chunks. She also got me started doodling on a dry erase board. I even take a small one in the car if I'm trying out something new! My family already knew I was pretty crazy! have fun!

Have you used flannel backing on a baby quilt instead of fleece. How does it quilt and do you use batting.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter53
    Have you used flannel backing on a baby quilt instead of fleece. How does it quilt and do you use batting.
    I have used flannel backing with a high loft polyester batting, so quilt was lightweight but not flat. It turned out very well. I had critters machine embroidered ... 1 critter per block (25 blocks) and I machine stitched around them (not FMQ) right up against the embroidery thread. I had no problems and no puckering, front or back.

Question: Did you pin baste, sew baste or use basting spray
    to keep the two layers together

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Question: Did you pin baste, sew baste or use basting spray
    to keep the two layers together
    I pinned a few places to keep it together and not shift on me, I didn't use as many pins on this one as I would of on a three layered quilt, this one actually was easier to keep together and handle. I plan to do a lot more this way