Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   $35.00 for a haircut?!?!!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/%2435-00-haircut-t161510.html)

SandraQuilts 10-19-2011 03:15 AM

I am out of touch!~I went to get my hair cut today at a local salon and it is $35.00!!!~ No color. My hair is not long. Just a regular haircut. What in the world?!?! This is the normal rate around here. It doesn't take more than 30 minutes.
I made the appointment and then called back and canceled. I will not pay this. I'll cut it myself. I already went to "washing that gray right out of my hair" MYSELF... What about where you live?

AlwaysQuilting 10-19-2011 03:21 AM

It's the same here. I also cut and color my own now.
I understand they need to make a living and pay rental fees, maintain their equipment etc, but it does seem a little steep when I'm only in the chair for approx. 1/2 hr @ $35 = $70hr.
I wish I made that much per hour.

alikat110 10-19-2011 03:26 AM

I paid $35 for mine, but I have very thuck hair and it takes a long time to cut and style...my stylist has commented "it's like cutting 3 heads of hair"....hehehe...i insist on only paying for one!!!

BMP 10-19-2011 03:26 AM

My girl charges $30, up from $18 just a few months earlier...I stretch out my cuts now for as long as I can.

Mary O 10-19-2011 03:35 AM

I live in a small town $12.00 for my short hair cut plus $5.00 tip.I should be paying more for the skill my hairdresser has on cutting thick,straight grey hair.I just love her and continue going every 4 wks.....

ptquilts 10-19-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
It's the same here. I also cut and color my own now.
I understand they need to make a living and pay rental fees, maintain their equipment etc, but it does seem a little steep when I'm only in the chair for approx. 1/2 hr @ $35 = $70hr.
I wish I made that much per hour.

no stylist is making that much per hour. Someone has to pay for rent or mortgage on the property, taxes, insurance, utilities, supplies - all the expenses that go with a business.

I cut my DH's hair and he cuts mine (under very strict direction!!) - it is just a blunt cut for me and I usually wind up finishing it myself.

marymc 10-19-2011 03:39 AM

I found a stylist I love at Cost Cutters! I go to her for everything. $14.95 cuts with coupons available most of the time. Hair cut yesterday, called and got my name on the list, went in, caught up on her family and it cost $11.95. I get a color every 3 months or so and then it runs about $70 for cut and color. Check out the chains, BF goes to a salon where cuts are over $40 now. There are good stylists out there you just have to find them!

mltquilt 10-19-2011 03:45 AM

That amount does not seem out of line for our area. I have had the same stylist for several years and my cut runs around $40 with a discount for getting a cut and color a same time. Spent too many years scrimping on my personal care when kids were at home so I figure I'm worth the amount it takes to keep my hair looking spiffy.

mltquilt

JanetP 10-19-2011 03:46 AM

I't $24.00 here (or at least that's what it was several months ago). Seems that every time I go, the price has gone up. I wait several months in between hair cuts. That money can buy a few yards of fabric or two bags of horse feed - much more important in my book than a haircut.

emerald46 10-19-2011 03:53 AM

$40.00 here in our area is pretty average. I do my own color. My hair doesn't know the dif between box color and $70.00 at salon.