Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ARGH! Invisible thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/argh-invisible-thread-t165108.html)

tristansnana 11-02-2011 06:46 AM

ARGH! Invisible thread

Am I the only one who has a real problem with invisible thread? Nests of thread on back, thread tightening until it snaps, etc. This last time I used it, I read all the info I could find. Put thread behind machine on one of those cone thread holders, adjusted my Janome 4800's tension to 0, slowly threaded machine, Bottom Line in bottom, size 70 needle, put on zig-zag plate, adjust pressure dial to 2, set machine to it's slowest speed setting...did all the right things. Actually the appliques looked pretty good. Only after I finished all 12 Dresden Plate squares, did I realize that I mistakenly used nylon instead of my polyester thread. LOL. I'm thinking that maybe I'm just not supposed to use the stuff. What do you think?

Scissor Queen 11-02-2011 06:53 AM

Putting invisible thread on a cone holder is exactly opposite of the way it needs to be done. You need to put invisible thread on your machine so that the thread comes off the spool from the side and maintains a slight amount of tension. That is what keeps it from becoming unruly.

Tartan 11-02-2011 09:13 AM

I am not a fan of invisible thread. I have not had success using it but some people like the polyester better. I think that some use a lubricant on the spool?

grammysharon 11-02-2011 09:44 AM

Invisible Thread

I am FMQ a wall hanging right now with invisible thread and it took me a long time to get the tension correct so I did not have thread nests and couldn't see the bobbin thread. I had to put it down to .75 (Bernina 830) to make it work. Hope adjusting the tension will
help you !!!

CRELLA 11-02-2011 09:48 AM

No you are not i hate it

barb55 11-02-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4617668)
Putting invisible thread on a cone holder is exactly opposite of the way it needs to be done. You need to put invisible thread on your machine so that the thread comes off the spool from the side and maintains a slight amount of tension. That is what keeps it from becoming unruly.

What do you do if the spool is too big to put on the side on your machine?

Scissor Queen 11-02-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by barb55 (Post 4618067)
What do you do if the spool is too big to put on the side on your machine?

I'm not sure what you mean. Invisible thread needs to be on the machine upright so the thread comes off the side of the spool and not the top. I think every machine has a way to use an upright spool.

Doreen 11-02-2011 10:18 AM

I'm not a fan of invisible thread due to problems. Although the brand of thread does make a difference.

RenaB 11-02-2011 10:22 AM

LOL, I never knew they had it? If it is invisible, how can you see to sew with it? Is it just clear like fishing line? Interesting.

susie-susie-susie 11-02-2011 10:56 AM

I haven't had any problems with invisible thread. I use Guterman and Sulky. The only problem I have noticed is the end poking me
when you cut the thread. It makes very nice appliqués IMHO.
Sue