Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Harbor Freight Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-harbor-freight-blades-t169728.html)

DawnMarie 11-24-2011 03:56 PM

Question about Harbor Freight Blades

Do they fit a 45mm Fiskars Rotary Cutter? What cutters do you all use them with?

loreen 11-24-2011 05:55 PM

I have used them. They do fit the 45mm. I do not like them. They are not sharp. I am sticking to the good ones. They seem to drag & fray the fabric.

SherryW 11-24-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by loreen (Post 4717354)
I have used them. They do fit the 45mm. I do not like them. They are not sharp. I am sticking to the good ones. They seem to drag & fray the fabric.

I agree with Loreen. I bought some just recently to try them, but I didn't like them at all. They were not sharp.

catsnchina 11-24-2011 06:35 PM

I also agree. I just purchased a trial pack of 10 habor freight 45 mm blades last month. Some were dull to start with and others became dull very quickly.

I also found they did not fit my Olfa 45 mm rotary cutter well as the blades would spin around on the cutter axle rather than cutting.

I threw them all out and have gone back to the Olfa blades which can be purchased reasonably on sale.

pjustice63 11-24-2011 07:01 PM

Sorry you all have had such bad luck with the blades. I absolutely love mine. They are sharper and last longer than Olfas.

DebbyT 11-24-2011 08:01 PM

I also have had good results with mine. I put one in for the first time last week and found I had it too tight at first. It seemed to drag. Once I loosened it, I had great results. Cut real smooth, especially because the blade I took out had a bit of a flat spot that required a re-cut each time. Because of the low cost, you might get a few and judge for your self.

Xstitshmom 11-24-2011 08:02 PM

I bought some of these because a lot of folks here were just ranting about how great they were and at such a good price. Well, they were a good price, but I have tried four of them now and they were awful. I don't think my cutting board is the problem as it is fairly new.

Guess I'll throw out the rest of mine and stick to the better name brands. I like my dull Olfa blade better than the Harbor Freight ones.

dublb 11-25-2011 02:21 AM

I love the HF blades. I had one dull one out of 10 pkdges! I can't beat those odds!

Wanda_GA 11-25-2011 03:50 AM

I also don't recommend them, it's a waste of your money. Just buy the brand ones with a Joann's or Hobby Lobby coupon.

june6995 11-25-2011 04:55 AM

I don't get it! I have been using Harbor Freight Carpet Cutter blades in 3 different brand 45mm rotary cutters, ever since I first read about them here. I have used one blades for months at a time. About the only time I come up with a dull blade is when I am careless and leave a pin on my cutting mat. Otherwise, I cut lots of scraps and yardage and have no problems. I have never, ever found one to be dull.

My cutting mat is over a year old but it is a good cutting surface. There is absolutely no drag or anything that would cause the blade to not cut. I double fold my yardage, so I am cutting through 4 thickness. I don't trust myself to hold the ruler on 8 thickness of fabric. I do know that with an old mat that is full of fibers from much cutting, there is a drag on the blade.

Why not invest $2 in one package of blades (and be aware there are 2 in a package - some people have put both blades in their cutter) and give them a try? You decide for yourself. And if your mat is old as the hills and has seen its better days, consider buying a new mat. These blades are designed to cut through the jute backing on carpet, so surely they can handle a few pieces of fabric.

By the way, why have we not heard from one person who returned their blades to the company and then reported the response from the company? I am waiting to read about those comments. If we have complaints, why not take the to the company? Why do you allow yourself to be ripped off - even for $2. blades.