Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Had my first experience with the "Quilt Police" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/had-my-first-experience-quilt-police-t172947.html)

Nanasrcool 12-23-2011 09:13 AM

Had my first experience with the "Quilt Police"

I was visiting my LQS the other day. I hadn't been in there in quite a while. I was looking around and the service rep. came and asked if she could help me. I said not really since I don't know what all I want and it will probably be alot since I hadnt purchased anything in a while.

I was talking to her and telling her I was in the process of completing my 1st full size quilt. I am doing it in a QAYG process. I was telling her how I had started using Sharon Schamber's method of using elmer's glue with the fine metal tip attached and set with the iron instead of pinning (which usually results in me stabbing myself 14 times. It also stabilized it much more for me. For a beginner quilter and sewist this is VERY important. I guess it took a minute to register what I said because she asked me again what I was doing and where I learned this. I told her again and she got this horrified look on her face like I had just told her I was making my quilt with my own feet! Then asked who Sharon Shamber was. I thought this odd but ok. She also said "I would NEVER do that to one of MY quilts". This is fine since I believe we all find what works for us and use it. I know people have firm beliefs on things in quilting. For HER that works.

I told her "Well since MY quilts arent exactly masterpieces or even worthy of a competition yet, but more about passing on a part of me to my family. However, I feel confident that there are much less qualified people I could learn techinques from than a Master Quilter that wins almost any competition she enters! Glue AND ALL!!!" lol. I also use spray basting too!!! OMG!!! lol...

It was funny and I think she got how she came across because she backed up and repeated what I had said about finding what works for you and using it. I told her she should really look up who Sharon Schamber is since she is a highly renowned quilter.

Raggiemom 12-23-2011 09:19 AM

Good for you in standing up for yourself! And I agree, use what works for you! :)

Daylesewblessed 12-23-2011 09:49 AM

I think that what you said to the "policewoman" should have made her re-evaluate her mission. I hope she will choose to "help the public" more and intimidate it less in the future.

Taino Jan 12-23-2011 10:05 AM

Just say "no" to the quilt police.

Okay, there are a lot of quilters out there but not know Sharon Shamber? Maybe cause I'm on the West coast and knowe her. a lot of "western" quilters aren't as known in other regions. But still. And she worked at a quilt shop? Really?

DebraK 12-23-2011 10:31 AM

Maybe she wasn't with the police force, and you gave her a little education.

ptquilts 12-23-2011 10:36 AM

at least you didn't get a ticket, lol!!

Scissor Queen 12-23-2011 10:38 AM

The poor thing must be trapped in some world where she's isolated from the major shows, book and magazine coverage of all the latest and greatest. Poor thing, bless her heart.

sharon b 12-23-2011 10:39 AM

LOL I love the way you handled it and I am in the Midwest and have heard of Sharon- the employee at the quilt store needs to get out more :rolleyes:

KerryK 12-23-2011 10:40 AM

There are names for people like that ... and they aren't nice. :(

Good for you for "talking back" to the quilt police! :)

valleyquiltermo 12-23-2011 11:06 AM

Check mate one for the quilters and 0 for the quilt police, LOL