Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps - what to do with them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-what-do-them-t176328.html)

heyjami 01-20-2012 01:11 PM

Scraps - what to do with them?

Ok, I think I'm now going to have to prioritize stash over scraps. I now how 2-3 tubs of paper piecing scraps that I couldn't part with. Time to part with them!

What do you do with your small scraps? Anything under 5" really should go.

I wish I could set them out near the end of the driveway and the magic scrap fairy will come and pick them up (promising to make all sorts of beautiful things out of them).

angelahen 01-20-2012 01:18 PM

I use mine for mile a minute and make this into all sorts of things. tend to keep everything over 1 1/2 inch square

quiltingfan 01-20-2012 01:24 PM

I have a big bag of scraps, ranging from little scraps to just things I don't want . I am in the same boat I don't want to throw them out but don't want them either.

patski 01-20-2012 01:25 PM

I donate mine, I met a quilter here & whenever I have a box of scraps I send them. Actually she is also in California and makes quilts for kids born with diabetes. PM me if you want her info

quiltingcandy 01-20-2012 01:29 PM

Sometimes folks here want them.

TanyaL 01-20-2012 01:33 PM

I use to throw my little scraps away, but then someone suggested saving them to fill a doggy mattress. So Now I'm filling an old pillowcase.

gayle bong 01-20-2012 01:38 PM

Love scrap quilts! But sometimes it seems I never see the rest of the stash and I get tired of the same pile of scraps, even though it really does evolve. Finding someone here would certainly work, but then there is boxing them up and postage. How about taking them to a guild meeting. Even if you are not a member, u could take a visit and a pile of scraps.
I tend to hang onto the smallest for those crazies they call " mile a minute". They really are fast and use up a bunch of scraps. I think the best ones have some structure to them with relief for the eyes in way of alternate plain blocks or plain sashing between blocks. I stitch mine to squares of gift wrap tissue to give me a guide for size block to shoot for and it tears off very easily.

Born2Sew 01-20-2012 01:42 PM

I decided to do something with mine a while back. So, I started stitching them together in strips. Then I cut those into 6 inch squares. Someday, I will make a quilt with them and just sash them together. At least that's the plan. Of course, I could make all kinds of smaller things from them. But, decided to at least have a plan for the future for them.

whinnytoo 01-20-2012 01:42 PM

I save all leftovers of tiny scraps and also battings for a lady who makes pet beds for the shelters. its used for the stuffing

luvTooQuilt 01-20-2012 01:48 PM

Send them my way !!!!! I LOVE scraps !!! Im actually working on my strip scraps right now... Whoo hoo.. for me its mindless work when i want to sew/quilt but dont want to follow directions for a pattern..