Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seeing-believing-pre-washing-t181892.html)

Daylesewblessed 03-06-2012 06:51 PM

Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing

1 Attachment(s)
There have been many posts about the pre-washing fabrics with opinions both for and against. Some say pre-wash everything, others say don't bother, and still others say that you only have to worry about colors bleeding in less expensive fabrics and in batiks.

Today I tested 2 LQS pieces of predominately black fabrics from Moda before using them. You can see the result in the picture. After seeing the sink full of black water, I immediately used Retayne with good results. After the 20 minute treatment, I rinsed the fabric, and the water ran clear.

This is my "show and tell" for the day.

Dayle

Lori S 03-06-2012 07:19 PM

Thanks for the photos. For those who believe it can't/won't happen.

sewbeadit 03-06-2012 07:40 PM

Wow, that is very interesting. Thank you.

mighty 03-06-2012 07:59 PM

I wash mine with color catcher and if any fading time for Retayne before using.

NikkiLu 03-06-2012 08:40 PM

That is what my pure white dishpan looked like when I hand washed over 200 pieces of batiks recently. I put some lukewarm water in the pan with a drop or two of liquid soap and about 50% of the pieces bled - I rinsed in cool water until it was clear. I had to throw away two pieces that would never stop bleeding - one was green and the other was dark blue. Not worth the trouble of using Retayne, etc.

Jan in VA 03-06-2012 09:25 PM

OMG, for the first split second that I saw the picture I thought there were FROGS in that sink, LOL!!!

Jan in VA

MaryLane 03-07-2012 02:05 AM

Looks like a wringer washer with a load of denim in it.

Some things are going to bleed no matter how many times you wash them or what you set them with. For me, it is dark flannels. I have a love affair with flannel and red in particular. That stuff always bleeds no matter who the manufacturer is and how you treat it.

ckcowl 03-07-2012 02:16 AM

interesting about the comment by MaryLane about the flannels- i've been an avid user of flannels for 40 years---and have never had one bleed---and you say all of yours do---i wonder what the difference is? mine shrink-but i've never had a color run using flannels- and as long as i buy lqs fabrics the only ones i ever really have a problem with are darks/ like red's & blacks- or handdyes/batiks- i've never had others bleed- i have though had some fade a bit with time.

barri1 03-07-2012 03:52 AM

I'm having a problem with burgandy flannel .I bought nice quality sheets rom Kohls.. and wanted to use them as backing for quilts.. I washed them about a dozen times, and then used Retayne.. and now I want to retest them..
Barri

faykilgore 03-07-2012 04:03 AM

I've never heard of Retayne. Where do you find it? Do you use it for all fabric or just the ones that "run?"