Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wow! What a shocker: maintenance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wow-what-shocker-maintenance-t182754.html)

ljptexas 03-14-2012 05:02 AM

Wow! What a shocker: maintenance

Put my reliable Jenome New Home in shop. They had to order some parts. After 3 wks finally got call that it was ready. Very good thing I had a Brother as backup. But total bill was $191.00!!! Can u believe it? Needless to say, I'm able to pay it out!!!! Boy, right now things are getting tight. So much for some personal things! Have had to take 2 or 3 kitties to vet & that puts a ding in things too. Oh, well, thankful I do have $. Things could alwaysss be worse. God is still in control, tho.

Raggiemom 03-14-2012 05:14 AM

I'd be shocked too! Glad you were able to pay the bill and get your machine back.

gramarraine 03-14-2012 05:42 AM

I feel your pain, I have 3 machines in the shop for some service and maintenance. They will be $79.99 each plus any parts needed. I too am glad I have the money.

Tartan 03-14-2012 05:57 AM

I sure do miss the days where all you needed was a little machine oil and you could service the machine yourself. $191 is a little pricey but it did include parts. That's about what I'd have to pay too. My regular service charge is about $100.

jaciqltznok 03-14-2012 06:16 AM

we all need to learn to do more ourselves and this just proves it..wow...that is a years worth of oil changed on my car!

dunster 03-14-2012 06:35 AM

When I bought my Bernina in 2006 it came with 1 year warranty from Bernina, but I paid about $260 for 4 additional years of support from the dealer. That covers getting it cleaned and tuned up as often as I want, plus any repairs, including parts. In 2011, when that maintenance agreement expired, I re-upped - 4 more years for the same price. DH thought it was foolish, but I knew better. I clean and oil my machine regularly, but for less than $5.50 per month I have complete peace of mind regarding my sewing machine, and every time we leave home for a few days the machine goes to the shop for a complete cleaning and check-up. Because it's pre-paid, I don't fret about the cost every time. Of course it helps that the shop where I bought the machine has an excellent reputation for service.

Lori S 03-14-2012 07:11 AM

The cost of repairs of the newer machines is just one of the many reasons vintage machines are so popular. They are easy to clean and maintain at home. I have a vintage and my "repair guy" told me just clean and oil , and they really don't require much else. In fact he told me don't bother to bring it in if you are cleaning and oiling regularly, except for about every 5 years or more. It been 15 years since I took it in for a professional cleaning... I asked him if he thought it was "due" he told me "nope" just keep on your doing what your doing.
My newer computerized machine... its an annual charge.

Candace 03-14-2012 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5059312)
When I bought my Bernina in 2006 it came with 1 year warranty from Bernina, but I paid about $260 for 4 additional years of support from the dealer. That covers getting it cleaned and tuned up as often as I want, plus any repairs, including parts. In 2011, when that maintenance agreement expired, I re-upped - 4 more years for the same price. DH thought it was foolish, but I knew better. I clean and oil my machine regularly, but for less than $5.50 per month I have complete peace of mind regarding my sewing machine, and every time we leave home for a few days the machine goes to the shop for a complete cleaning and check-up. Because it's pre-paid, I don't fret about the cost every time. Of course it helps that the shop where I bought the machine has an excellent reputation for service.

I wish my dealer offered this! I'd do it too.

Prism99 03-14-2012 10:22 AM

Last time I took my well-functioning Bernina 1230 to the shop for yearly maintenance was well over 12 years ago. At that time the charge was over $100 and I'm not convinced the tech did anything at all to it. I noticed after I got it back that he had not reset the upper tension back to the factory setting (which I had changed in order to do some specialized sewing) in order to test stitches. That's when I decided I would just keep the machine very clean myself and take it in only if it malfunctioned. Well, it hasn't malfunctioned, and I figure that in the 12 years since then I have accummulated at least $1,200 towards a new machine if this one ever gives out. (Note: I do have vintage machines I can use as backup if this one ever gives out.)

I can understand taking a machine in if it has a problem, but I no longer believe in taking it in for cleaning and preventive maintenance. I do clean my machine frequently and well, never allowing lint to build up, and keeping the shuttle race lightly oiled between bobbins. Worth $1,200 to me!!!

QuiltnLady1 03-14-2012 11:06 AM

I am surprised you did not pay more -- around here you can't bring a machine into the service folks without paying $125 -- with parts it would easily be $300. That is why I rarely take it in for servce -- I am deligent about cleaniing and hope to avoid problems.