Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Today's Featherweight Find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/todays-featherweight-find-t191226.html)

Daylesewblessed 06-08-2012 04:56 PM

Today's Featherweight Find

1 Attachment(s)
Today I walked in the drizzle to an estate sale in my neighborhood about a quarter of a mile away. The sale was run by professionals, but there was no mention of a FW in the ad. I was in the "Christmas room" when I spotted the black case on the floor behind a slide projector case. It seemed heavy, and I thought, "This couldn't be," but it was! It wasn't expensive, so all I checked for was the presence of a bobbin case and that the hand wheel turned.

When I paid for it, I asked "if it worked" and was told that it did. I stretched a Wal-mart bag over the case and proceded to walk home.

It tested out great! The only adjustment I needed to make was a quarter turn in the bobbin tension. I will need to give it a cleaning and oiling. There is no manual, but I don't need another one of those. The usual attachments are there. I believe the controller has been replaced -- there is no wear on the cording. The icing on the cake is that the case has its key!

This is the first scroll style face plate that I have owned and the oldest FW for me -- 1947. Now I have to decide what to do with her! My policy is to keep only one of each type of machine. I sold my first FW when I got a centennial model. Now I will need to decide whether the centennial stays or this one.

The hunt is so much fun!

Dayle

cabbagepatchkid 06-08-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 5275293)
This is the first scroll style face plate that I have owned and the oldest FW for me -- 1947. Now I have to decide what to do with her! My policy is to keep only one of each type of machine. I sold my first FW when I got a centennial model. Now I will need to decide whether the centennial stays or this one.

Dayle

What a wonderful find!! FW's are so small that you could just call it "art" and put it out for decoration. This way you won't have to change your policy about only owning one of each. Besides, you only have "one" centennial and now you only have "one" scroll-plate machine. :thumbup:

slk350 06-08-2012 05:18 PM

Beautiful machine, I wouln't want to get rid of it.

misskira 06-08-2012 05:33 PM

Ohhh good find! Kind of like my garage sale find last weekend. I have a one machine rule too, but dh is threatening to keep it, lol.

BizzieLizzie 06-08-2012 06:39 PM

Congratulations on a marvellous find! Very pretty!

harrishs 06-08-2012 07:06 PM

aI think that is a super find.....but I don't understand how anyone could have just one Featherweight!

SunlitenSmiles 06-09-2012 02:56 AM

WOW! it is beautiful...............sigh

Blackberry 06-09-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 5275293)
Today I walked in the drizzle to an estate sale in my neighborhood about a quarter of a mile away. The sale was run by professionals, but there was no mention of a FW in the ad. I was in the "Christmas room" when I spotted the black case on the floor behind a slide projector case. It seemed heavy, and I thought, "This couldn't be," but it was! It wasn't expensive, so all I checked for was the presence of a bobbin case and that the hand wheel turned.

When I paid for it, I asked "if it worked" and was told that it did. I stretched a Wal-mart bag over the case and proceded to walk home.

It tested out great! The only adjustment I needed to make was a quarter turn in the bobbin tension. I will need to give it a cleaning and oiling. There is no manual, but I don't need another one of those. The usual attachments are there. I believe the controller has been replaced -- there is no wear on the cording. The icing on the cake is that the case has its key!

The hunt is so much fun!

Dayle

If I may ask, how much did you pay for this beauty

Sandra in Minnesota 06-09-2012 10:16 AM

She is just beautiful!

KyKaren1949 06-09-2012 11:24 AM

She is in amazing condition with all her deals intact. I think it's time to repeal the rule about only having one. It's like Lay's potato chips-you can never just have one! I have 5 of them and use each one at one time or another. I feel like they're each one of a kind, so that's kind of like having one. I have a 1964 white one, a 1951 Centennial, a 1949 striated face, a 1947 Egyptian face and a Black 222 from England. Each is "one" of a kind. Someday, I'll find a tan one I can afford and then my collection will be complete. I vote for keeping them both!!!