Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Today's Featherweight Find

  1. #1
    Super Member Daylesewblessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    1,785

    Today's Featherweight Find

    Today I walked in the drizzle to an estate sale in my neighborhood about a quarter of a mile away. The sale was run by professionals, but there was no mention of a FW in the ad. I was in the "Christmas room" when I spotted the black case on the floor behind a slide projector case. It seemed heavy, and I thought, "This couldn't be," but it was! It wasn't expensive, so all I checked for was the presence of a bobbin case and that the hand wheel turned.

    When I paid for it, I asked "if it worked" and was told that it did. I stretched a Wal-mart bag over the case and proceded to walk home.

    It tested out great! The only adjustment I needed to make was a quarter turn in the bobbin tension. I will need to give it a cleaning and oiling. There is no manual, but I don't need another one of those. The usual attachments are there. I believe the controller has been replaced -- there is no wear on the cording. The icing on the cake is that the case has its key!

    This is the first scroll style face plate that I have owned and the oldest FW for me -- 1947. Now I have to decide what to do with her! My policy is to keep only one of each type of machine. I sold my first FW when I got a centennial model. Now I will need to decide whether the centennial stays or this one.

    The hunt is so much fun!

    Dayle
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    This is the first scroll style face plate that I have owned and the oldest FW for me -- 1947. Now I have to decide what to do with her! My policy is to keep only one of each type of machine. I sold my first FW when I got a centennial model. Now I will need to decide whether the centennial stays or this one.

    Dayle
    What a wonderful find!! FW's are so small that you could just call it "art" and put it out for decoration. This way you won't have to change your policy about only owning one of each. Besides, you only have "one" centennial and now you only have "one" scroll-plate machine.
    ~~Cathy~~

  3. #3
    Super Member slk350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Posts
    1,935
    Beautiful machine, I wouln't want to get rid of it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, OR
    Posts
    444
    Ohhh good find! Kind of like my garage sale find last weekend. I have a one machine rule too, but dh is threatening to keep it, lol.

  5. #5
    Super Member BizzieLizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,922
    Congratulations on a marvellous find! Very pretty!
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member harrishs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    824
    aI think that is a super find.....but I don't understand how anyone could have just one Featherweight!

  7. #7
    Super Member SunlitenSmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,402
    Blog Entries
    2
    WOW! it is beautiful...............sigh

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    929
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    Today I walked in the drizzle to an estate sale in my neighborhood about a quarter of a mile away. The sale was run by professionals, but there was no mention of a FW in the ad. I was in the "Christmas room" when I spotted the black case on the floor behind a slide projector case. It seemed heavy, and I thought, "This couldn't be," but it was! It wasn't expensive, so all I checked for was the presence of a bobbin case and that the hand wheel turned.

    When I paid for it, I asked "if it worked" and was told that it did. I stretched a Wal-mart bag over the case and proceded to walk home.

    It tested out great! The only adjustment I needed to make was a quarter turn in the bobbin tension. I will need to give it a cleaning and oiling. There is no manual, but I don't need another one of those. The usual attachments are there. I believe the controller has been replaced -- there is no wear on the cording. The icing on the cake is that the case has its key!

    This is the first scroll style face plate that I have owned and the oldest FW for me -- 1947. Now I have to decide what to do with her! My policy is to keep only one of each type of machine. I sold my first FW when I got a centennial model. Now I will need to decide whether the centennial stays or this one.

    The hunt is so much fun!

    Dayle
    If I may ask, how much did you pay for this beauty

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,772
    Blog Entries
    2
    She is just beautiful!

  10. #10
    Super Member KyKaren1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,420
    She is in amazing condition with all her deals intact. I think it's time to repeal the rule about only having one. It's like Lay's potato chips-you can never just have one! I have 5 of them and use each one at one time or another. I feel like they're each one of a kind, so that's kind of like having one. I have a 1964 white one, a 1951 Centennial, a 1949 striated face, a 1947 Egyptian face and a Black 222 from England. Each is "one" of a kind. Someday, I'll find a tan one I can afford and then my collection will be complete. I vote for keeping them both!!!
    Karen in Kentucky

  11. #11
    Super Member Sienna's GiGi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Posts
    1,071
    Your FW is cute and I'm glad you made such a good find!
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

  12. #12
    Junior Member shelrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    S W Va
    Posts
    261
    Oh but you only have one of each so why even think of choosing? I say keep both and then no more. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep my Red Eye or not for I wanted to restore the stand to full originality and it should have a red eye in it but then I bought a beautiful Sphinx and I cant make up my mind. DH is no help for he just says do what you want.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Orange Park,Fl
    Posts
    1,037
    Lucky you. Great find

  14. #14
    Super Member jbj137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Duncan, SC, 29334 USA
    Posts
    4,574
    Blog Entries
    2
    Nice save.

    Is she for sale???

    If so, How much???

    J J
    J J (jbj137)

    I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

  15. #15
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,689
    why not keep both you can have both lol

  16. #16
    Super Member ppquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wonderful WY
    Posts
    1,195
    There is a fire close to our house, next to a state park and we were told last night to evac. Friends were there to help hook up to camper and trailer for harley mc. Put my 3 FW in camper in case. Check out my pics of my sewing rm and machine collection, would hate to lose them but can't take it all.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

  17. #17
    Member Winkeree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kaysville, UT
    Posts
    5
    Gasp!! I bet your heart was pounding. What a GREAT find!! Love the little oil can too.

  18. #18
    Senior Member tsnana2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
    There is a fire close to our house, next to a state park and we were told last night to evac. Friends were there to help hook up to camper and trailer for harley mc. Put my 3 FW in camper in case. Check out my pics of my sewing rm and machine collection, would hate to lose them but can't take it all.

    ppquilter, that sounds so scary. I will be praying that you and your house stay safe.


    Kathie


  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    5
    I go to yard sales here in West Texas all the time and NEVER find a machine like this....and i WANT one ! ! ! Congrats to you. If in Midland Texas, we need to go SHOPPING together.....

  20. #20
    Senior Member QuilterGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gallatin, TN
    Posts
    324
    Blog Entries
    25
    I got my first FW at an estate sale in Andrews, TX now have four. I found one in WI at a garge sale (cheap) was my best buy. Keep looking. They are so small you should keep both.
    You will get what you expect to get.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1
    I just joined Quilt Board today -- quick note -- I learned last week of a friend who has her mother's FW and she wants to sell it. However, it is in a cardboard box -- case and all attachs are gone, never to be found. I would simply use it as decoration. I want to be fair to her -- she is not a sewer and needs to downsize, so is getting rid of "stuff." She felt attached to it when her mother lived with her, but she has been gone now for 5+ years. How much $$ should I offer her for the FW? It is black -- that's all I know. Have not seen it yet but hope to go this week to see it. Thank you for any help you can be.

  22. #22
    Super Member Daylesewblessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    1,785
    T1zme,

    I think you should look on Ebay and see the wide variety of prices on winning FW auctions. There are so many that you really can get a good idea. Many things are factors in the price - condition being of great importance. The lack of attachments isn't too significant, since most of them are readily available. If a FW needs servicing or is missing functioning parts, the price should be less. For the purpose of decoration, it doesn't need to work, but you will probably want the decals to be in good shape. Then there is the issue of age: do you want an older one? Scroll plate or striated plate? Also, the market in each geographical area is different. A 222 generally commands a higher price than a 221.

    To determine value, it is a good idea to try out the machine, so you may need to bring fabric, thread, and maybe a needle. FW's thread from right to left.

    These are just my ideas -- other people will have other thoughts.

    A good transaction is one where each person feels things are fair.

    Dayle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.