View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Daylesewblessed

Default Today's Featherweight Find

Today I walked in the drizzle to an estate sale in my neighborhood about a quarter of a mile away. The sale was run by professionals, but there was no mention of a FW in the ad. I was in the "Christmas room" when I spotted the black case on the floor behind a slide projector case. It seemed heavy, and I thought, "This couldn't be," but it was! It wasn't expensive, so all I checked for was the presence of a bobbin case and that the hand wheel turned.

When I paid for it, I asked "if it worked" and was told that it did. I stretched a Wal-mart bag over the case and proceded to walk home.

It tested out great! The only adjustment I needed to make was a quarter turn in the bobbin tension. I will need to give it a cleaning and oiling. There is no manual, but I don't need another one of those. The usual attachments are there. I believe the controller has been replaced -- there is no wear on the cording. The icing on the cake is that the case has its key!

This is the first scroll style face plate that I have owned and the oldest FW for me -- 1947. Now I have to decide what to do with her! My policy is to keep only one of each type of machine. I sold my first FW when I got a centennial model. Now I will need to decide whether the centennial stays or this one.

The hunt is so much fun!

Dayle
Attached Thumbnails fw1947a.jpg