Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-some-opinions-border-please-white-flag-here-t195702.html)

terri bb 07-25-2012 07:43 AM

need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

2 Attachment(s)
been working on this off and on now for a long time and i HAVE to get it finished. this is the only fabric i have that is big enough for the border. it is as wide as it needs to be, 12". i dont know~~i just don't know!!! part of me says hey this is okay and the other part of me is screaming ARE YOU SERIOUS? NO WAY! i can't work on something for this long and then not finish it right. i need some much valued opinions here on what you think! i have NO fabric left over from this big enough to make the border! thank you!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]351385[/ATTACH]

terri bb 07-25-2012 07:46 AM

that second pic is NOT sposed to be there and when i try and edit it i can't make it go away, sorry!

Lori S 07-25-2012 07:47 AM

I not liking that fabric as your border.. I think you need to find another.. Sorry but that how I see it. the print you have has none of the warm tones used in the blocks.. If you can find a print that has some of the blues with some warm tones you have in the quilt it would be more in keeping with the quilt.

terri bb 07-25-2012 07:49 AM

no Lori thats what i want!!!! thanks for your input! you know when something is right and your inside screams YES! ....well, mine is not doing that with this!

DebraK 07-25-2012 07:53 AM

I think that fabric detracts from your colorful blocks.

ND-Mom 07-25-2012 07:53 AM

Since your center part is kind of busy and your current border fabric choice is a busy one as well, I would at least use a white strip to separate the center from the border if I were you. it will also gives eyes a rest. Just my two cents.

You did a great job on the center part!

Neesie 07-25-2012 07:55 AM

In all seriousness, I really LOVE that first picture. It's almost as if the quilt is sitting within another (giant) block. It's different, yet is of the same spirit. The more I look at it, the more I like it!!! It just seems to belong. My vote is for the first one.

I see the majority, so far, disagrees with me. LOL Well, I tend to think outside the box, so am used to that. :D Since your sashings are all rather plain, I think a solid border would be a bit . . . well, plain. For me, the floral border brings it alive. :) Maybe a narrow, dark blue border, between the two . . . but I'd definitely keep that floral!

geneva317 07-25-2012 07:57 AM

Why not throw together a scrappy looking border to coordinate with all those beautiful colors and offset the blue a little?

Barb in Louisiana 07-25-2012 08:00 AM

I think either print could work if you put a brighter, stopper border between the last blue strip & either blue fabric you show there. I would go through my stash & look for all yellow, orange, red, bright purple fabrics you have that could be a stopper border. Put that strip between the center of the quilt & then put your two fabrics on the outside. Do you like any of them? I have to back off about 10 ft to really see how the finished quilt would look. Up close, a lot of them look good. lol

Tartan 07-25-2012 08:12 AM

Do you need the border that wide to make the quilt bigger? If not, I think it would look okay with a narrower border of it.