Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

been working on this off and on now for a long time and i HAVE to get it finished. this is the only fabric i have that is big enough for the border. it is as wide as it needs to be, 12". i dont know~~i just don't know!!! part of me says hey this is okay and the other part of me is screaming ARE YOU SERIOUS? NO WAY! i can't work on something for this long and then not finish it right. i need some much valued opinions here on what you think! i have NO fabric left over from this big enough to make the border! thank you!
    Name:  004.JPG
Views: 3250
Size:  866.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

that second pic is NOT sposed to be there and when i try and edit it i can't make it go away, sorry!

I not liking that fabric as your border.. I think you need to find another.. Sorry but that how I see it. the print you have has none of the warm tones used in the blocks.. If you can find a print that has some of the blues with some warm tones you have in the quilt it would be more in keeping with the quilt.
    Last edited by Lori S; 07-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.

no Lori thats what i want!!!! thanks for your input! you know when something is right and your inside screams YES! ....well, mine is not doing that with this!

I think that fabric detracts from your colorful blocks.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Since your center part is kind of busy and your current border fabric choice is a busy one as well, I would at least use a white strip to separate the center from the border if I were you. it will also gives eyes a rest. Just my two cents.

You did a great job on the center part!

In all seriousness, I really LOVE that first picture. It's almost as if the quilt is sitting within another (giant) block. It's different, yet is of the same spirit. The more I look at it, the more I like it!!! It just seems to belong. My vote is for the first one.

I see the majority, so far, disagrees with me. LOL Well, I tend to think outside the box, so am used to that. Since your sashings are all rather plain, I think a solid border would be a bit . . . well, plain. For me, the floral border brings it alive. Maybe a narrow, dark blue border, between the two . . . but I'd definitely keep that floral!
    Last edited by Neesie; 07-25-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Why not throw together a scrappy looking border to coordinate with all those beautiful colors and offset the blue a little?

I think either print could work if you put a brighter, stopper border between the last blue strip & either blue fabric you show there. I would go through my stash & look for all yellow, orange, red, bright purple fabrics you have that could be a stopper border. Put that strip between the center of the quilt & then put your two fabrics on the outside. Do you like any of them? I have to back off about 10 ft to really see how the finished quilt would look. Up close, a lot of them look good. lol
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-25-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Power Poster
    Do you need the border that wide to make the quilt bigger? If not, I think it would look okay with a narrower border of it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others. to busy on the borders. what about a darker blue (sashing) around the outside about 2.5 inches then a light blue (about 4 to 6 inches) depending on the size of the quilt.(the same color as your sashing) I think that would not take away from your wonderful quilt
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I would like it without a border, unless you need the quilt to be bigger. Maybe just a dark blue binding to pull it together...can't wait to see what you decide.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

no Tartan it has to be that wide to make it fit. i dont have enough of anything to make another border. but while i was doing dishes i just ran in here wiping my hands on my shirt and thinking hey! tell me what you think a cream color border would look like with some appliqued flowers, etc here and there on it would look like? im taking the binding and scrapping it like the quilt so i will bring in some outer color. whatcha think???? a woman's best work is while daydreaming out the kitchen window! okay well this might not be a good idea but i can throw it in. your ideas are all fabulous thank you so much!

piano keys?????

i would use a narrow cream/ off white border. then narrow the blue down. so it would be the solid blue, cream and blue print. that is what i would do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I think either print could work if you put a brighter, stopper border between the last blue strip & either blue fabric you show there. I would go through my stash & look for all yellow, orange, red, bright purple fabrics you have that could be a stopper border. Put that strip between the center of the quilt & then put your two fabrics on the outside. Do you like any of them? I have to back off about 10 ft to really see how the finished quilt would look. Up close, a lot of them look good. lol
    That's my thoughts too. I think the blue is fine as long as you have a separator color. I would go for a yellowish white ...narrower border......and then use the blue.

Copy your pic to Paint program and play with colors.
    You can choose a color and edit that color so that it's lighter, darker, more luminosity...whatever!
    I do this all the time now and have great fun. ( Thanks to Rose_P).
    Only problem I have is that I keep changing my mind about what color to use. LOL.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

I'm with the folks who vote against your first print. I, too, think it detracts from the gorgeous quilt. Too busy. The quilt itself is fabulous!!
    Ruth

I like the idea of using a scrappy type border with the fabrics used throughout the quilt. The more I look at the picture the print is ok, but just ok.
    Live well, Love often, Pray daily

Blog Entries
    I agree With Tartan. The border seems too wide.

Hi,
    Your quilt is beautiful, good job!!! I like the border you selected (1st pic) and I would just add a small 1 inch inner boarder to frame it a little more. Maybe in white or pink. Regardless, your quilt is beautiful. You are so close to done and you did a super job.

I like this idea much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
    no Tartan it has to be that wide to make it fit. i dont have enough of anything to make another border. but while i was doing dishes i just ran in here wiping my hands on my shirt and thinking hey! tell me what you think a cream color border would look like with some appliqued flowers, etc here and there on it would look like? im taking the binding and scrapping it like the quilt so i will bring in some outer color. whatcha think???? a woman's best work is while daydreaming out the kitchen window! okay well this might not be a good idea but i can throw it in. your ideas are all fabulous thank you so much!
    Ruth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
    this is exactly what i was thinking
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    your quilt is beautiful and I don't think that border would do it justice. I like your idea about making a border with applique on it. Be sure to show us the finished product.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

No. It's wrong. Your blocks are beautiful and you wouldn't want to attach that to it. Take the top to your LQS, lay it on a table and get busy matching different bolts to it and seeing which pattern/color either sets the blocks or 'completes' the quilt top. Good luck.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Oh and sorry to say but $$ will need to paid for more material to make this the beauty you have already made.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast