Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some opinions on border fabric (pics included) >

Need some opinions on border fabric (pics included)

Need some opinions on border fabric (pics included)

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Rachelcb80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, MS
Posts: 1,038
Default

This is the first time I've really used fabric that was specifically made for use in a border. I'm not sure how I should cut the side borders and need some opinions from all of you. My rows aren't sewn together so ignore that. Also there is going to be a 2" white inner border before the big border. With that in mind here are my questions;

1) I know the top and bottom borders need to be cut with the lines on the border fabric running with the quilt. My problem is with the sides. Do I cut the fabric so the bunnies stand up like in picture number 1, or do I cut the fabric the same way as I do for the top and bottom? If I cut the sides like the top and bottom, how do I face the bunnies on all four sides? All the bunnies in the quilt top stand the same way (up and down, obviously).

2) I think this fabric requires mitered corners, don't you? Do I need to miter my inner border as well (plain white) or can it be attached like normal? Or will it look dumb for one border to have straight seams, and the outer border to be mitered?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79925.jpe   attachment-79926.jpe  
Rachelcb80 is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
donnajean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Posts: 4,157
Default

Yes, I would miter outer border - not really necessary for inner border.

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
This is the first time I've really used fabric that was specifically made for use in a border. I'm not sure how I should cut the side borders and need some opinions from all of you. My rows aren't sewn together so ignore that. Also there is going to be a 2" white inner border before the big border. With that in mind here are my questions;

1) I know the top and bottom borders need to be cut with the lines on the border fabric running with the quilt. My problem is with the sides. Do I cut the fabric so the bunnies stand up like in picture number 1, or do I cut the fabric the same way as I do for the top and bottom? If I cut the sides like the top and bottom, how do I face the bunnies on all four sides? All the bunnies in the quilt top stand the same way (up and down, obviously).

2) I think this fabric requires mitered corners, don't you? Do I need to miter my inner border as well (plain white) or can it be attached like normal? Or will it look dumb for one border to have straight seams, and the outer border to be mitered?
donnajean is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
belmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,858
Default

Ditto.......love that Beatrix potter fabric with all the cute animals. I used that in the last Baby quilt I made.
Originally Posted by donnajean
Yes, I would miter outer border - not really necessary for inner border.

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
This is the first time I've really used fabric that was specifically made for use in a border. I'm not sure how I should cut the side borders and need some opinions from all of you. My rows aren't sewn together so ignore that. Also there is going to be a 2" white inner border before the big border. With that in mind here are my questions;

1) I know the top and bottom borders need to be cut with the lines on the border fabric running with the quilt. My problem is with the sides. Do I cut the fabric so the bunnies stand up like in picture number 1, or do I cut the fabric the same way as I do for the top and bottom? If I cut the sides like the top and bottom, how do I face the bunnies on all four sides? All the bunnies in the quilt top stand the same way (up and down, obviously).

2) I think this fabric requires mitered corners, don't you? Do I need to miter my inner border as well (plain white) or can it be attached like normal? Or will it look dumb for one border to have straight seams, and the outer border to be mitered?
belmer is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Outer Space
Posts: 9,319
Default

I'd do it so all the borders have bunnies standing up and facing in. If that makes sense? Mitering would be nice.
Candace is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Rachelcb80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, MS
Posts: 1,038
Default

Originally Posted by Candace
I'd do it so all the borders have bunnies standing up and facing in. If that makes sense? Mitering would be nice.
I'm not sure which way you're talking about. Are you saying cut all the borders the same way on the fabric, and have the bunnies feet closest to the quilt top?
Rachelcb80 is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
sahm4605's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 2,167
Default

i would make all the bunnies stand the same direction. it m=just makes it seem to flow together better, but that is jut me.and i would miter the big boarder and not the white one. makes it easier on you and makes it more interesting.
sahm4605 is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: currently central new jersey
Posts: 8,623
Default

i would attach the white border to the outer border and miter them together. why go around twice?

i would have all the bunny feet facing in, don't ask why. i don't know. i just 'see' it this way.
butterflywing is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Outer Space
Posts: 9,319
Default

I mean have the bunny feet facing in like Butterfly wing. If a couple of them face outward, no biggie. It would just look better, imo to have most of the feet facing inward.
Candace is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 1,390
Default

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i would attach the white border to the outer border and miter them together. why go around twice?

i would have all the bunny feet facing in, don't ask why. i don't know. i just 'see' it this way.
agree with both these points. stitch the white to the outer border and still only do one miter and it will look cool. and bunny feet to the center on all sides.

If you were making a wall hanging, I would make sure the border was cut/pieced so that all feet pointed down.
ktbb is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Rachelcb80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, MS
Posts: 1,038
Default

Okay, so all four sides with bunnies feet facing in, and miter both inner and outer borders together. Got it! :)
Rachelcb80 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Brazen
Pictures
42
04-04-2009 03:26 PM
henryparrish76
Recipes
17
12-26-2008 05:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter