Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advice on trimming a block with a 60* slope.  Pics included to help! >

I need advice on trimming a block with a 60* slope. Pics included to help!

I need advice on trimming a block with a 60* slope. Pics included to help!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Default I need advice on trimming a block with a 60* slope. Pics included to help!

Some of you may have seen the blocks I've made for the Back to Nature quilt. All was going well until block #6 which requires four two-part rectangle sections. Out of the 10 or so rulers I have, only one had that 60* line and it wasn't big enough, so I estimated and the block didn't come out perfectly--but acceptable. It's posted here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t174150.html

So--since there's another block coming up with the same section, I bought a ruler today--6 by 12--that has the 60* line. I cut some scraps out to play and practice. The directions say to keep rotating the block until it's the desired size and to keep that line through the middle. First rectangles were cut at 4.5 by 6.5 and once cut on the diagonal and sewn back are to be trimmed to 2.5 by 4.5! This is trickier than I thought and the one I did still isn't perfect. Good thing I'm practicing!

So--here are illustrations. Theses are cut the same size as the ones for that block. I can't believe how much is supposed to be trimmed off! But--you can see the piece isn't square to begin with, I guess since it's not 60* as it's made. But--for those who have done this sort of thing before--do you have any hints on how to trim it perfectly? This is the first time I'm been stumped in a long time! A learning curve!!
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   001.jpg  
Old 01-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Karla, you have me stumped with all that math...I would suggest walking away from it and coming back with a fresh mind.
I was going to pay my quarterly sales tax today and the website and I are not seeing eye to eye...I've done it several times before, but not today. So, tomorrow is another day.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
Karla, you have me stumped with all that math...I would suggest walking away from it and coming back with a fresh mind.
I was going to pay my quarterly sales tax today and the website and I are not seeing eye to eye...I've done it several times before, but not today. So, tomorrow is another day.
Oh but I have walked away--for several days to work on a ragged flannel--and this is my fresh start! LOL
Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned

I don't understand why you must have the 60 degree ruler since you have a rectangle that is cut in half diagonally. Seems that is the important part and not that it is 60 degrees.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 PM

They stress the 60* thing... really stress it.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM

When they are sewn together, you place the 60 degree line of your ruler on the stichline and make sure that you have 2.5 inches on top going to the right and the 60 degree line should be 4.5 inches down where it meets the stiching. (You forget about the squarness of the block. That's why they are so large in the first place. There has to be enough material for you to cut the 2.5x4.5, with the 60 degree angle on the stitching line. Then you turn it around and do the same thing again. It looks to me that's what you did. Just make sure you line it up perfectly and you are good to go. Happy quilting!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I don't understand why you must have the 60 degree ruler since you have a rectangle that is cut in half diagonally. Seems that is the important part and not that it is 60 degrees.
Especially since that lower right corner on the ruler does NOT fit right at the corner of the block because of the way the 60* line is drawn on the ruler.
A 60* line will work IF the 60* line goes right to the point of the corner of the ruler so that you can cut straight up the side of the block you've sewn.
The Olipfa 12.5" square ruler has such markings. Shown here in example, both 60° lines are on the ruler and 1 is placed on the block's diagonal seam.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails ruler.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 01-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM

A rectangle measuring 2.5 x 4.5 won't give you a 60º diagonal...ever. The side measurements of a 30-60-90 triangle are always in the ratio of 1:√3:2 (iow, side opposite 30º is 1, 60º is √3, 90º is 2). Your rectangle would have to be either 2.5 x 4.3 or 2.6 x 4.5.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM

ditto ^^^^^
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 PM

Added thoughts that might, or might not, help you. It would seem to me that the finished HRT size is more important than the angle since you have to choose one over the other. If you agree, here's some valuable info on how to work with HRT's and the somewhat unique problems they pose. And, as luck would have it, the example is an unfinished size of...drum roll please...2.5" x 4.5". http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/PDF/HRT_2x4.pdf