Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Need border opinions, please

  1. #1
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    I am trying to finish a quilt for my s-i-l for Christmas- coming down to the wire here, and now that it is time for borders I can't seem to decide which is better. I have a green/purple fabric and one that is more purple. i wanted the quilt to read more purple, but it didn't turn out to be as purple as I had hoped. But in looking at the pictures it looks like the green is the better border fabric. Any helpful comments appreciated.

    purple border
    Name:  Attachment-15365.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  682.8 KB

    green border
    Name:  Attachment-58461.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  675.3 KB

  2. #2
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    Sorry, is there a way to make the images smaller?

  3. #3
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I like the purple better for the border. The green seems to fade away from the quilt.

  4. #4
    Super Member tslowery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA Small town in Southeast Ga
    Posts
    1,069
    I like the purple.

  5. #5
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Do you have enough of that dark purple left to use as the border?

  6. #6
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Oooh, both colors really change the feel of the quilt. Isn't it amazing how it can do that. The green softens it a lot while the purple makes the block design really pop. For myself, I prefer the look of the purple border.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    514
    I like the purple better for the border.

  8. #8
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    No, I have very little of the dark purple as not much was needed in the original pattern. My 14 y/o son came in and looked at it and said "the purple is better". Now how does he know that???
    I can't believe how fast you all have responded. Thanks so much for the input.

  9. #9
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,660
    Your pictures, smaller




    I would go with the purple, but I would piece it using the lightest, the darkest, and the one you have shown here pieced in a pattern that fits the edge size attractively. The green seems too pale to me.

  10. #10
    sdparent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fryeburg, Maine
    Posts
    986
    I would think the dark purple from the center square would be perfect, if the only choices are the two colors you show I would choose the purple.

  11. #11
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,885
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like the purple better too.

  12. #12
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    Here is how it looks with what I have left of the dark purple. It does frame the quilt nicely. I may have to see if I can find more of it? I like the idea of a pieced border too, thaht might work well with the purples and bring them all out. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,885
    Blog Entries
    1
    I actually like the other purple fabric better. The darkest one seems harsh to me, although I think it would look very nice as a narrow inner border to the other purple fabric -- or as the binding, if you have enough of it. The dark purple as a binding would put a finished frame around the entire quilt.

    Just me .02 cents....... :-D

  14. #14
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I actually like the other purple fabric better. The darkest one seems harsh to me, although I think it would look very nice as a narrow inner border to the other purple fabric -- or as the binding, if you have enough of it. The dark purple as a binding would put a finished frame around the entire quilt.

    Just me .02 cents....... :-D
    I was going to suggest the very same thing. Either that or use the dark purple to make a knife's edge, which would be very attractive, and finish your final border with the purple fabric shown in the first picture.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bluphrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Porter, TX
    Posts
    530
    By knife edge, do you mean what I call a floating border?

    I cut strips 1" wide, fold and press wrong sides together, then sandwich between the first and second borders. When you sew the border on, it makes a neat 1/4" border (kind of like a flat piping, if that makes any sense). In this case, it would lay on top of the white border, and would really set the purple floral off.

  16. #16
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,660
    A flange, right?

  17. #17
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Oooh, both colors really change the feel of the quilt. Isn't it amazing how it can do that. The green softens it a lot while the purple makes the block design really pop. For myself, I prefer the look of the purple border.
    I agree!!! Which ever look you prefer...soft or bolder and then go for it :D:D:D

  18. #18
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I actually like the other purple fabric better. The darkest one seems harsh to me, although I think it would look very nice as a narrow inner border to the other purple fabric -- or as the binding, if you have enough of it. The dark purple as a binding would put a finished frame around the entire quilt.

    Just me .02 cents....... :-D
    I was going to suggest the very same thing. Either that or use the dark purple to make a knife's edge, which would be very attractive, and finish your final border with the purple fabric shown in the first picture.
    Ooooo after seeing this I think it would be awesome with the darker flange and then the purple border :D:D:D:

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rice Lake, WI
    Posts
    487
    I like the purple

  20. #20
    Super Member mamaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,955
    Purple

  21. #21
    Member pup&pen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    34
    I love the purple border. I am usually a green person but the purple makes the rest of the pieces really pop.

  22. #22
    Dix
    Dix is offline
    Senior Member Dix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Okla.
    Posts
    599
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree with your son. Purple is good. Very pretty!

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    80
    Definatley Purple!!! The green looks bland- the purple really brings out the purple in the quilt!

  24. #24
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    By knife edge, do you mean what I call a floating border?

    I cut strips 1" wide, fold and press wrong sides together, then sandwich between the first and second borders. When you sew the border on, it makes a neat 1/4" border (kind of like a flat piping, if that makes any sense). In this case, it would lay on top of the white border, and would really set the purple floral off.
    Yes, though I've always heard it called a knife's edge. I love the technique and it frames a quilt so beautifully!

  25. #25
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Purple. I would use the dark purple for binding and ythe other purple for the border fabric. I'm a purple person and use purple in almost every quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.