Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-if-im-crazy-buti-have-idea-t197320.html)

dotski 08-11-2012 10:12 AM

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

how about a crazy quilt but only make 1 very large contunius square. say big enough for a lap quilt. start in the center and just keep sewing and flipping pieces of fabric. what's your honest opinion. do you think it would work ? how would you do it ? on just a foundation piece of fabric then layer batting and backing or stitch with the batting already on or with batting and backing already layered ? i'm boared and this is what happens i get crazy ideas..........

DOTTYMO 08-11-2012 10:17 AM

I get these ideas as well. Would your idea end up as a big log cabin or ---steps block?
Woul you cut up into sections then rejoin to make new quilt

auntpiggylpn 08-11-2012 10:17 AM

I don't see why this wouldn't work. You might want to try it out as a table topper first. I think foundation piecing sounds like a winner. But, I bet you could do it as a sort of Quilt As You Go with the batting and backing if you wanted to.

pollyjvan9 08-11-2012 10:26 AM

I have done this and the way to keep it from looking like a big log cabin is to be really consistent in changing the size and shape of your patches. Sometimes is is hard to work your way out of a spot but you can always cover raw edges with your hand or embroidery stitches, pieces of lace, braid, beads, whatever embelishments you want to use. The piece I made was only about 24" x 24" but you could make it any piece you wish,

Sunnye 08-11-2012 10:43 AM

I'll bet it would work! Let us see it when it's done because I just know you'll do it now

Neesie 08-11-2012 11:09 AM

I think it's a grand idea! It'd probably be easier to keep it flat, if using a foundation piece, as a base.

ptquilts 08-11-2012 11:11 AM

The outside pieces will be really large compared to the inside pieces. May not give you the crazy quilt look you want.

We did this with one of our first quilts, but sewing 4 triangles to the sides of a square to make a bigger square, repeat, etc. Came out looking really weird, but someone liked it enough to buy it! And in light green and black at that!

alfosa421 08-11-2012 11:25 AM

When you have an idea GO WITH IT!! Use fabric if you can or do it on paper if you can't right away and you'll be surprised how much it will change and grow as you learn more techniques and skills

lynnie 08-11-2012 11:44 AM

Why not
Go for it. You can use it as fabric for a vest or jacke

sassey 08-11-2012 12:05 PM

i did something similar I didn't use a foundation piece but I sure wish I would of , I was making a small table runner the other day didn't like it so i double padded it and use it for a rug all I changed was added rug backing. Go with your ideas