Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Blog Entries

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

how about a crazy quilt but only make 1 very large contunius square. say big enough for a lap quilt. start in the center and just keep sewing and flipping pieces of fabric. what's your honest opinion. do you think it would work ? how would you do it ? on just a foundation piece of fabric then layer batting and backing or stitch with the batting already on or with batting and backing already layered ? i'm boared and this is what happens i get crazy ideas..........
    dotti

Blog Entries
    I get these ideas as well. Would your idea end up as a big log cabin or ---steps block?
    Woul you cut up into sections then rejoin to make new quilt
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I don't see why this wouldn't work. You might want to try it out as a table topper first. I think foundation piecing sounds like a winner. But, I bet you could do it as a sort of Quilt As You Go with the batting and backing if you wanted to.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I have done this and the way to keep it from looking like a big log cabin is to be really consistent in changing the size and shape of your patches. Sometimes is is hard to work your way out of a spot but you can always cover raw edges with your hand or embroidery stitches, pieces of lace, braid, beads, whatever embelishments you want to use. The piece I made was only about 24" x 24" but you could make it any piece you wish,

I'll bet it would work! Let us see it when it's done because I just know you'll do it now

I think it's a grand idea! It'd probably be easier to keep it flat, if using a foundation piece, as a base.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

The outside pieces will be really large compared to the inside pieces. May not give you the crazy quilt look you want.

We did this with one of our first quilts, but sewing 4 triangles to the sides of a square to make a bigger square, repeat, etc. Came out looking really weird, but someone liked it enough to buy it! And in light green and black at that!

Blog Entries
    When you have an idea GO WITH IT!! Use fabric if you can or do it on paper if you can't right away and you'll be surprised how much it will change and grow as you learn more techniques and skills

Blog Entries
    Why not
    Go for it. You can use it as fabric for a vest or jacke

Blog Entries
    i did something similar I didn't use a foundation piece but I sure wish I would of , I was making a small table runner the other day didn't like it so i double padded it and use it for a rug all I changed was added rug backing. Go with your ideas

My first quilt was just that, but I also did it QAYG. This was about 8 years ago, the quilt is still on the back of my easy chair, has been washed about every two weeks since my dog also loves to use it and is still going strong.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Sounds like a great idea! didn't someone post recently how she did something similar using an old comforter as the base for quilt as you go? I think I saw it here. I would go for it as a qayg

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    When you get to the bigger pieces on the outside, you can "prepiece" them. Join two fabrics to make an edge long enough to cover the raw edge on the previous piece and then join the oieced unit to the wuilt.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

I think it would work just fine with a foundation piece. Joining fabric for a strip may need to be done for length...

How about doing just 6 big squares (24") and that would make it easier to handle?
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

This is what I did back in '70 when there weren't any quilt books in my library and I had to figure it out by myself. I took an old cotton flannel blanket and started in the upper left-hand corner and sewed little pieces of fabric on by hand using the blanket stitch in black sewing thread. My primary sewing activities up to that point had been making clothes for myself because I was so poor. When I finally finished it, I bought some horrible fabric for .50 cents a yard at Sears and a cotton batting that still had bits of seeds in it and had my friends over for a "tying party." I think the guys had more fun than the girls and the big pitcher of Sangria probably did no harm (lol). I still have the quilt, although the first time I washed it the batting wadded up like you wouldn't believe. I removed the ties (just bits of yarn and embroidery floss) and the batting and put a new backing on it and it is still really one of the coolest quilts I own. The scraps were from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's and I guess the reason it is still in good shape is because I stopped using it on the beds about twenty years ago. See, this is why I love being an "old lady:" happy memories!

That's kind of what I did recently: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...quilt+makeover
    Have fun with it!

I agree that doing it in squares will give a better result. I do lots of "sew and flip", which is a form of crazy quilt assembly. The bigger the square, the bigger the piece of fabric you need to extend from one end to another and the more chance you have of curvature and bubbling. You can find yourself in a situation where the only way to make a piece fit is to cover up a lot of territory already done. This is hard to explain, but if you try it, you will see what I mean.

Dayle

i have a crazy quilt made with neckties hanging on my sewing room wall that goes from ceiling to floor and is about 6 ft wide, done entirely by hand it was a wedding gift from my husbands grandmother. it is probably one of our most prized possesions apparently my husband was her favorite at least she always said so. it is in reds and burgandys and is stunning next time i rearrange the sewing room i will photograph it although its hard to get far enough away. she did hers using mostly silk neckties and used a sheet to sew it to, i would never use it id be afraid to get it dirty. i worry enough about it hanging in a quilt hanger on the wall.
    carla m

som
    Blog Entries
    could someone tell me how to bookmark something,thanks a lot som

AS Nike would say, "Just do it!" You might as well try it.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I think it is great idea! your not bored, you just what something different to work on.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I would love to see what you come up with. I'm thinking I had a quilt made that way when I was a kid. I do not remember any blocks - it was simply pieced every what way on the machine all over the quilt. The quilt is long gone. I used to look at it for hours trying to figure out how it had been done. Mine was tied.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Dot, I think that's a great idea! I'd use muslin to piece the top in the traditional fashion and then add batting and backing and finish by tying. Take a look at the May Doll Quilt Swap ... we did crazy minis and they were wonderful.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Thats how I made my CQ. I started out with 18 inch squares of muslin as my foundation block, and used lots of different fabrics. I didnt flip and sew tho, I stood at my ironing board and pinned all my fabrics on, layering and turning under seam allowances, and adding lace to some seams. Then I use an applique stitch to sew them down. I dont get in a hurry, just enjoy the process. I love hand work!!

Quote Originally Posted by dotski View Post
    how about a crazy quilt but only make 1 very large contunius square. say big enough for a lap quilt. start in the center and just keep sewing and flipping pieces of fabric. what's your honest opinion. do you think it would work ? how would you do it ? on just a foundation piece of fabric then layer batting and backing or stitch with the batting already on or with batting and backing already layered ? i'm boared and this is what happens i get crazy ideas..........
    As I remember, this is sort of how my grandmother made crazy quilts, except her patches were not necessarily square or symmetrical - they could be any shape. I do remember that sometimes she would just applique a patch to the quilt to cover raw edges - these were always made on a foundation fabric, & they were beautiful. Her jhandwork ws exceptional - I just wish I had one of these quilts, but my aunt got them & no one knows what happened to them. I am lucky enough though, to have several quilts my mother made & they are beautiful too - just not crazy quilts.\

Shirley in Indiana

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast