Someone tell me I'm crazy!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 AM

Ok, for years I have been mourning the loss of my Rusty-boy. He was the love of my life. I got him when he was 6 weeks old as a gift to hubby before we were married. Rusty soon became MY cat and was always with me where ever I was, even in the bathroom when I was taking a bath. He had to make sure I cleaned all dirty spots on my body, or so he thought lol
I had to have him put down a little over 4 years ago due to a tumor he had that was inoperable and his quality of life was going down hill fast. It was THE WORST thing I had ever done in my life!
So, Rusty is now gone...well, not really, he sits in his urn in my curio cabinet, but I digress....
Big Boy was having a problem being lonely since Rusty was gone. I went to the Humane Society and found this cute little cuddly, ever so loving calico kitten that just won my heart. I adopted her, named her Monique and brought her home. She stayed Mom's cat for about 2 weeks then decided she was going to be a Daddy's girl. UGH! There goes me having another love of my life.
So,,,,to make a long story short....when we get to Virginia, I am wanting to adopt another cat, FOR ME!! I'm hoping to find a kitten or teenager since I don't think an adult cat would work because Big Boy pretty much rules the roost now. I think he'd tolerate a young cat.
Am I crazy for wanting this? Hubby says he doesn't mind. Actually, he has no say in the matter....

What do you think???
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

No you are not crazy!!!! I can't blame you for wanting a cat of your own. They make such great friends. I still mourn the loss of a cat I had over 20 years ago. She was the best friend I ever had. Some one veered off the road just so they could run her over in our drive way. I still cry when I think about that.
Ppl are so cruel.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 AM

Not crazy..although I was dying to say you were crazy by that inviting title!! You know as well as the rest of us about cats though...you can want one for you, but they're gonna pick who they want...it's just pure luck when we get one that wants us as much as we want their affection!!!

I say go for it in Virginia! And go for young...more time to break 'em in!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:44 AM

I still tear up when I talk about Rusty. He was MY BOY and everyone that knows me, knows that yes, he was mine and I was his!

I knew someone was going try to answer YES to the topic. lol

Well, in order to adopt from the one Humane Society, it states that ALL family members must meet the pet before adoption is complete. I just hope that if I do find another love of my life, that this one will just flip it's tail at hubby like Rusty would do. :)
I would really love to adopt from here, there are so many that need homes. The thing that stops me is....the price of their flight is horrid! It cost us almost $800 to fly 3 cats from Hawaii to California and that was back in 1999. I can't imagine what it would cost for 3 from here to CA. Just from HI to here it was just about $500, I think, can't really remember. But I did take their flight as a moving expense on my taxes!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 AM
JJs
Banned

well, we're getting a couple (TWO - 2!) more dogs - so call me nuts...
we have the world's BEST little pappilon/jack russel mix - and the PERFECT house dog - but she IS daddy's girl - she won't even do her business outside unless daddy is the one taking her out (unless she's desperate)....
anyhow, I digress - I found some adult - already spayed - toy poodles and picking them up next month - so we shall see..
you will have a much easier time of 'housebreaking' a cat than we will adult dogs....
(but I can't wait - hee hee)
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 AM

Oh, I know we just MIGHT walk out with a dog too!
But, it also depends on where we live and what the landlord has to say about pets. Cats are easy to hide. They just "disappear" in the house, but dogs are ALWAYS around.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 AM

I don't think you're a bit crazy! I'd have more than 2 if I thought I could sneak one in past hubby :lol: :lol:

And I know what you mean about losing your Rusty. The "love of my life" was a blue Persian whom I named "Lord Percival" and we called him Percy. Got him at 8 wks. old, I gave him baths in the bathroom sink and he was trained to a leash for "walks" outside. He slept with me, met me at the door when I got home and fussed if I was late. We had to put him down at age 14 -- I don't know who cried harder, me or hubby.

My 2 new kitties seem to be adjusting okay -- the male is about 3 1/2 yrs. and the female is about 1 1/2. The male sleeps more than the female and she'll wake him up to play! They make me smile all day :D :D
Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 AM

I'm so sorry for you loss. I lost Oskar a few years ago. He was quickly declining, the vet wasn't sure what was wrong with him, possibly diabetic, but the insulin just seemed to make it worse. I finally had to put him down, hardest decision I've ever made. I say get a new kitty. You're definately NOT crazy.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Well....yes, you are crazy, but not about this decision. If you can provide a "home" for one of the world's furry creatures, yes, you need to do that. Now...if you think you are going to adopt one that will be "yours" just like Rusty..you might want to think again. As you know, cats make their own decisions.....the best you can hope for is that "the handsome boy over there" will want to make you his personal slave. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 AM

Well first off you don't own the cat, the cat owns you. Look at them, They lay there with that regal look as if to say "peasant get me my food & honor me." At least mine always did. Cody would be gone for 6 months at a time. Hung out with the girl cat up the street just long enough to knock her up then come home. He would give me this look like Hey you knew I would be back. You get you a kitty for you & hopefully it will decide that you are his person & not hubby. But then a new cat in the house & Big Boy & or Monique may decide that hey thats my mama and you are on top again.