Someone tell me I'm crazy!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM

well I hope you find Mr. or Ms. right! and the 2 of you will be very happy together for a long time, if not, get used to being #3 in a threesome! LOL
Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 AM

You are certainly not crazy. Go for a male cat though, they will be momma's babies. We had Priscilla for 15 years and had to have her put to sleep with cancer. There was a big empty place for a long time.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Please go for it and have a lovely rescue kitty. You will find a special moggy just for you, who will be devoted!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what you thought was crazy?? It's a cat--they don't take up much room. :wink:
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 AM

You go girl - and maybe you need to get 2 while you're at it. LOL. I love animals but cats have a way of worming their way into our hearts like no others. I had have so many in my life time and know IF I get to heaven they will be at the gate waiting for me - right now I live with one of my son's and we have 2 cats -my granddaughter's OTHER grannie recued this one from a burning bush pile - he's name is Sparkie! He is an odd fellow so I tell my daughter in law he can't help it he was smoked damaged -he is just a male...the other one is a sweetheart -my daughter and I go walking each night and this kitty showed up in our parking lot under a car - for 4 nights we brought him in ,feed him, put him out and then we just kept him -i think someone moved and left him behind. My GD named him SMILE -she says bez he smiled at me the first time I looked at him ! Isn't that cute!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm not the one to throw stones...I'm owned by 6 cats and loved by 4...the two girls aren't really crazy about either of us but lean toward the DH. The four boys are very careful not to show too much partiality though it's pretty clear which of us is owned by which of them...it took years to bring my husband up to speed on the joys of being a Cat Lover...he's now certifiable. Enough background? Wouldn't it be better for everyone to wait until after the move to take on another...there's so much coming up for you and for them...and you've got so much to look forward to and those grandbabies will likely be taking up some of that empty space that your loss created...and there's such a gigantic expense that could be avoided by waiting till you're re-settled. Wow, that kind of money could keep you on the road to everywhere for a long time...to see the twins, the friends, the shops, the shows...featherin' the new stateside mainland nest!...and if you really think about it, couldn't that money go toward neutering a couple of furbabies when you get settled and have a nest to turn over to them? Please give yourself some time to think this through...you know that your decision will have a long-term impact and effect. I am thrilled for you that you have so much and so much to look forward to...be excited, but in this, please be patient. Make sense?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
Please go for it and have a lovely rescue kitty. You will find a special moggy just for you, who will be devoted!
Katrine, your puppies in your avatar are sure cute. Are they Yorkies or other breed of terrior.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 AM

That kind of intimate bond you can have with a cat or dog reaches way down into your soul - it fills a void like nothing else can. And the joy and peace it can bring you is immeasurable. I've been fortunate that all of our critters so far have become "my" buddies - it would leave me empty if they weren't - I say definitely adopt another!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Make sure you get a male cat. I have my own kitty rescue. I have had several hundred over the years. Female cats tend towards men for some reason (not always but more often than not. Males towards women. I think you can never have too many.. ok you can. Until you hit 7 however your doing just fine so I would certainly give another kitty a try. Worse case you gave it a home. Also when the other lap is full your lap will suddenly look that much more appealing. Trust me. I have had more than a dozen kittens and my own cats at a time and love is number one. Your free for love? MY HOW GOOD YOU LOOK! The cats that loved me the most for the last 30 yrs have all been male. The cats that loved the men in my life the most? all female. Works for everyone. All my rescue friends say male cats are by nature more generally affectionate and a little less particular on who they dole out their love to.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM

Personally, I think you're nuts for wanting cats, but that's a whole 'nuther thread! :)

But, I totally empathize with wanting the "love of your life." I had a yellow lab that was all mine. She'd be happy with other people, but it was me she wanted to be with. Captive audience on the toilet? You betcha! She was pushing the door open and sit there to be petted.

She crawled under my sewing machine when hubby was in the shop because it upset her and she knew I was there. When she got along in years and had hip displasia and arthritis, she would pace the hall upstairs until she could no longer stand it and brave the steps to come to the sewing room.

The final straw was when she would fall the length of the stairs. It broke my heart to have to put her to sleep and I still cry (10 years later) to think of it. I want a lab so bad I can't stand it, but labs are so expensive (as are all dogs) that I haven't been able to get another. Hopefully someday.

So, all this said, I'd say, get after it and get your kitty. (Just don't let it outside to eat the song birds. :) )