Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-do-embroidery-hand-anymore-t19787.html)

Rhonda 05-06-2009 06:17 AM

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Just wondered if anyone does embroidery by hand. I learned to do crewel work in 1974 and went on to doing embroidery stitches and taught it in homeparties for awhile. It seems like everyone does the machine variety now and I wondered if the art of hand embroidery was dying down if not out.
I don't do alot of it but when i need it I do use some of it in my projects.
I like to draw my own designs but they are more old fashioned than most of what you see today.
Anyone else still doing it by hand?

stonington 05-06-2009 06:26 AM

Rhonda,
I just started doing it again. My grandmother taught me when I was very young. I use to do counted cross stitch but it got to be difficult for me to see in the evenings. I have a bureau scarf in the works for my husband.. trout and flies lol.. he is a fly fisherman. I have found that Herrschner's is very reasonable and their products are of very good quality.
anne

sharon b 05-06-2009 06:27 AM

I still do cross stitch by hand, does that count ? I also knit (just knit, not pearl LOL) and crochet. They all are dying out as they can be more time consuming and people have less time for leisure . Sad but true.
Sharon

Rhonda 05-06-2009 06:32 AM

I like counted cross stitch but because it is time consuming I don't do alot of it either. My friend Dorothy has been doing some bookmarks that I designed. I am wanting to put them on my online store but the ones she made went to Kalona where I sell my stuff. So I am waiting for her to do some more. She wants more designs but i haven't had the time lately to do that either!
We just need longer days!

Maride 05-06-2009 06:45 AM

I do lots of counted cross stitch. I would say no, it is not dying. Less people do it, but it is still a very profitable market. I just went to a needlework show in New Hampshire and it was packed and all the classes were sold out at very high prices. I frequent several cross stitch boards and they are always busy.

Maria

kwhite 05-06-2009 07:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Check out my Dotee dolls I hand embroidered both.

RedGarnet222 05-06-2009 07:42 AM

Heaven's yes! I always have a hand embrodery in the works. It is a pleasant change from the regular sewing. I have a redwork set I am finishing the cases on this week of the old fashioned goodmorning goodnight pillow cases.

I did all the hand work already so I started a set of flowers on the edge pillowcase to go with the top I posted this morning. It should go together pretty well.

I love it! It is never too late to start doing hand embrodery. It is very satisfing work that you can take along with you.

Shemjo 05-06-2009 07:46 AM

Yes! YES! Hand embroidery is alive and well, and surviving heartily here in the St. Louis area. Got to have hand work watching the kids at a game, watching TV with the SO, waiting at the Dr.s or for any appointment, or just because it is so pretty. We have ladies who do red work by hand, and embroider quilt blocks! It is going stong here in MO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rhonda 05-06-2009 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Check out my Dotee dolls I hand embroidered both.

Love your embroidery on the dolls! Is it a pattern? I do mostly my own flower designs so I am always interested in flowers in embroidery. I like to do vines and various stylized flowers that aren't real flowers just my interpretation. Love yours! What is a dotee doll for?

Tippy 05-06-2009 08:46 AM

I still do some hand embroidery.. pillowcases, t-towels, and some for quilt blocks.. and I still use Aunt Martha's transfer patterns.. talk about old fashioned.