Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you say when you give a gift, and reciepiant says (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-say-when-you-give-gift-reciepiant-says-t207017.html)

lynnie 11-26-2012 05:58 PM

what do you say when you give a gift, and reciepiant says

Wow, it looks professional.
Or worse when someone gives you yuccky fab, for you to ...do something with.
And its polyester or worse. If i dont say something i look ungrateful, or like a snob, i dont want anymore of this stuff.
help

Debbie C 11-26-2012 06:08 PM

Hi Lynn - hope you're feeling well. I have had someone say 'this looks like a REAL QUILTER did this. I was stunned! But I caught my tongue and said "I AM A REAL QUILTER!! What? Did you think I'm just playing here?" People just don't put their brain in gear before they open their mouths sometimes....

Tartan 11-26-2012 06:10 PM

Well if they say it looks professional, that 's a compliment and I say "thank-you". If anyone gives me stuff I don't want or need, again I say thank-you and donate it to a charity shop.

Lori S 11-26-2012 06:41 PM

When someone says "it looks professional" I take it as meaning "it does not look dorky homemade". Some just don't know how to compliment a quilter.
As far as getting some pretty awful fabrics.... I will say "I can't use this right now, but I know someone who can, if thats OK with you?" and then redonate it to Good Will.

deedum 11-26-2012 06:44 PM

I drop what I don't want off at goodwill. I understand what you mean, all kinds of fabric and most of the time it is not anything I can use or want. I don't mind polyester, because they make such warm quilts. On my to do list. I have had nothing but wondful compliments so far with my quilts . Be interesting to see what others say. I guess I would say, "thank you but I just don't need anymore fabric right now,.

sewingsuz 11-26-2012 06:46 PM

This is what I do with all the crap. Maybe someone can use it.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5681881)
Well if they say it looks professional, that 's a compliment and I say "thank-you". If anyone gives me stuff I don't want or need, again I say thank-you and donate it to a charity shop.

sewingsuz 11-26-2012 06:48 PM

I hate when I send my quilt out to Grandaughter and never get a Thank You! Was it that bad????

pattypurple 11-26-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 5681965)
I hate when I send my quilt out to Grandaughter and never get a Thank You! Was it that bad????

I think I would fall over if I got a thank you note from any of my nieces or their children. Guess that isn't considered important anymore. Don't take it as a critique of your work.

SEW 11-26-2012 07:16 PM

I just say...Gee, Thanks for thinking of me, but if I bring home anymore fabric, my husband will have a fit! (which is true!) I don't offer to take it. If they ask if I know anyone who might like it, I suggest they donate it to Goodwill.

Jingle 11-26-2012 07:25 PM

I have never had anything like that happen to me. Hard to say what might pop out of my mouth if it were to happen.