Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton or Polyester... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-polyester-t208583.html)

pjtravis 12-16-2012 11:32 AM

Cotton or Polyester...

I was wanting to know which everyone prefers...100% cotton or 100% polyester...or should I stick with cotton..thanks

ckcowl 12-16-2012 11:47 AM

cotton or poly what???
batting? fabric? thread? clothes?
each has it's place-
i use both cotton & poly batts & blends & wools & bamboo's, silks, fleece....each has it's use & place
I generally use cotton or wool fabrics-although i've incorporated some silks & specialty fabrics into a few quilts and often use a polyester (minkie or fleece) backing on special request quilts
I often piece with cotton thread- but i have a long arm & use mainly polyester thread for long-arm machine quilting---cotton tends to break easily with the highspeed of the machine....so, you see- each has it's place & use- there are no rules---use what you like-but don't be 'closed=minded' & stuck in a rut---be willing to try new things & don't (pooh-pooh) at others for using something different from your preference.

Prism99 12-16-2012 02:56 PM

I prefer 100% cotton for batting. Like the way it "crinkles" when washed, and it gets softer with every washing. Also like the way my machine stitches get hidden; polyester batting has more loft and doesn't shrink, so it seems as if my mistakes show up a lot more.

In terms of fabric, you can use almost anything to make a quilt. However, poly is more slippery than cotton, which makes it harder to match seams accurately. Poly does not crease like cotton, so is also more difficult to use for turned applique. Poly also frays more than cotton. It's usually not a good idea to mix poly and cotton in the same quilt as they fade differently; poly doesn't fade at all, while cotton "mellows" with exposure to light.

Jan in VA 12-16-2012 03:32 PM

100% COTTON FABRIC
100% COTTON THREAD
80/20 OR 100% COTTON batting OR WOOL batting

Jan in VA

Scissor Queen 12-16-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by pjtravis (Post 5723802)
I was wanting to know which everyone prefers...100% cotton or 100% polyester...or should I stick with cotton..thanks

Gotta agree with ckcowl, cotton or poly what? Cotton poly blend fabric isn't too horrible but 100% poly fabric is a huge pain to work with. Poly batting on the other hand can be really nice if you don't get the cheap flimsy stuff. Quilter's Dream Poly is super nice to work with and makes a nice modern look when finished. Cotton wrapped poly thread is generally cheap and linty so I don't use it. I use either Aurifil or Prescencia for piecing.

jcrow 12-16-2012 04:05 PM

Cotton for everything but batting I prefer wool.

pjtravis 12-16-2012 04:10 PM

Oops...sorry

Sorry I meant to ask about fabric. All the information about thread and batting comes in handy too...thank you

mighty 12-16-2012 07:07 PM

I perfer cotton for everything!

IAmCatOwned 12-16-2012 07:19 PM

I use 100% cotton UNLESS I am making a quilt for a child using some kind of licensed fabric. Then I am usually forced to get a blend.

My first 'blanket' was tied and made with a cotton/poly blend. I found that body oil stains were very difficult to remove without damage to the design on the fabric. Not a problem for children's blankets since they are washed often, but my blanket was only washed a couple of times a year and those oils seem to seep and stay permanently. On the plus side, this was a long blanket and only the end (where my arms and head are) had the staining. My bro secretly coveted my blanket, so when I decided to toss it, he asked for it. Since I had made it extra long, I cut off the end and rebound that edge. It is still in use as a summer blanket 7 or 8 years later.

MimiBug123 12-16-2012 07:55 PM

For fabrics, 100% cotton. Will vary on the thread, depending on which color I need and what I have on hand. For batting, I like w&n 80/20, but have used poly if I want a really high loft.