Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cotton or Polyester...

Cotton or Polyester...

I was wanting to know which everyone prefers...100% cotton or 100% polyester...or should I stick with cotton..thanks

Blog Entries
    cotton or poly what???
    batting? fabric? thread? clothes?
    each has it's place-
    i use both cotton & poly batts & blends & wools & bamboo's, silks, fleece....each has it's use & place
    I generally use cotton or wool fabrics-although i've incorporated some silks & specialty fabrics into a few quilts and often use a polyester (minkie or fleece) backing on special request quilts
    I often piece with cotton thread- but i have a long arm & use mainly polyester thread for long-arm machine quilting---cotton tends to break easily with the highspeed of the machine....so, you see- each has it's place & use- there are no rules---use what you like-but don't be 'closed=minded' & stuck in a rut---be willing to try new things & don't (pooh-pooh) at others for using something different from your preference.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I prefer 100% cotton for batting. Like the way it "crinkles" when washed, and it gets softer with every washing. Also like the way my machine stitches get hidden; polyester batting has more loft and doesn't shrink, so it seems as if my mistakes show up a lot more.

In terms of fabric, you can use almost anything to make a quilt. However, poly is more slippery than cotton, which makes it harder to match seams accurately. Poly does not crease like cotton, so is also more difficult to use for turned applique. Poly also frays more than cotton. It's usually not a good idea to mix poly and cotton in the same quilt as they fade differently; poly doesn't fade at all, while cotton "mellows" with exposure to light.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    100% COTTON FABRIC
    100% COTTON THREAD
    80/20 OR 100% COTTON batting OR WOOL batting

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by pjtravis View Post
    I was wanting to know which everyone prefers...100% cotton or 100% polyester...or should I stick with cotton..thanks
    Gotta agree with ckcowl, cotton or poly what? Cotton poly blend fabric isn't too horrible but 100% poly fabric is a huge pain to work with. Poly batting on the other hand can be really nice if you don't get the cheap flimsy stuff. Quilter's Dream Poly is super nice to work with and makes a nice modern look when finished. Cotton wrapped poly thread is generally cheap and linty so I don't use it. I use either Aurifil or Prescencia for piecing.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Cotton for everything but batting I prefer wool.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Oops...sorry

Sorry I meant to ask about fabric. All the information about thread and batting comes in handy too...thank you

I perfer cotton for everything!

I use 100% cotton UNLESS I am making a quilt for a child using some kind of licensed fabric. Then I am usually forced to get a blend.

My first 'blanket' was tied and made with a cotton/poly blend. I found that body oil stains were very difficult to remove without damage to the design on the fabric. Not a problem for children's blankets since they are washed often, but my blanket was only washed a couple of times a year and those oils seem to seep and stay permanently. On the plus side, this was a long blanket and only the end (where my arms and head are) had the staining. My bro secretly coveted my blanket, so when I decided to toss it, he asked for it. Since I had made it extra long, I cut off the end and rebound that edge. It is still in use as a summer blanket 7 or 8 years later.
    Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-16-2012 at 07:22 PM.

For fabrics, 100% cotton. Will vary on the thread, depending on which color I need and what I have on hand. For batting, I like w&n 80/20, but have used poly if I want a really high loft.

I thought poly thread was the one that caused so much fluff/lint and cotton didn't. So I changed to 100% cotton and get a ton of lint in the bobbing cage and around the needle. Get a little less with the poly...what's up with that? Years ago the Singer repair man told me on my Singer 2010 to use only cotton covered poly....this was his third trip to my home for repairs due to to much lint with cheap (4/$1!) thread. I started using that and never had to call him again...I was making clothes and dolls etc, not quilts. Now with my new Singer Quantum (hate it as all I ever do is thread, rethread and thread again!) and I don't see a diff in the sewing, but the lint...cotton has slightly more than the poly. Any lint comments?

Blog Entries
    I have discovered that each of my machines work better with different makes of thread. My bernina will sew with any cheap, poly and cotton. The janome loves all gutterman and the singers love cotton. Lint build up sorry not sure why man came in. Every new bobbin clean area so very little lint build up. Fill bobbin empty fluff. If need bigger clean, do after each finished job clean all over as this also gets rid of coloured lint before using white it marks it.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I prefer cotton for all my quilting too!

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I perfer cotton for everything!

I know my old Singers, like cotton thread and they don't like gutterman! They are like people, they have their likes and dislikes.
    As far as material, yes I like 100% cotton with cotton thread, polyester material has it's place also. They are just about the warmest quilts and are best tied instead of quilted in MHO. I have poly material that no one else wanted and I plan to make a few quilts. Also, lap quilts for the nursing home, they just never wear out. So there is a place for everything if used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    I thought poly thread was the one that caused so much fluff/lint and cotton didn't. So I changed to 100% cotton and get a ton of lint in the bobbing cage and around the needle. Any lint comments?

No, it is the opposite. Cotton thread makes more lint than polyester thread. As with anything, the amount varies with the quality of the product. High quality cotton will make less lint, just as low quality polyester thread will produce some lint.

I like cotton and linen and wools. If fate sends polyester my way (such as a BIG bag of shirt factory cut-aways) I use them separately from the natural fibers. The polys can be slippery little devils and unfriendly to applique. Foundation piecing helps. Cottons and synthetics do not age in the same way so avoid using them together in quilts.

Blog Entries
    coffeebreak, The quality of the thread makes a huge difference in lint production. Cheap cotton thread (4/$1) is made with very short staple cotton and usually produces a lot of lint. Aurifil (I like the orange spool, 50wt 2-ply for piecing), you would immediately see the difference -- long staple cotton plus manufacturing processes that smooth and refine the thread. Aurifil produces almost no lint. It costs more but, if you figure out how much it costs to have a repairman come to your home to fix your machine, it's well worth the extra money!

There are different qualities of polyester thread also. Bottom Line from Superior is an example of a really nice poly thread.

My dear deceased MIL made my DH and me a King sized 100% polyester quilt for our wedding present. We jokingly asked her if she didn't want grand children because the quilt was so heavy that once you got under it you were trapped in that spot. The thing weighed a ton. She laughed and laughed.
    PS after lots and lots of washing over 35 years, the thing still weighs a ton but has hardly faded at all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjtravis View Post
    Sorry I meant to ask about fabric. All the information about thread and batting comes in handy too...thank you
    cotton cotton cotton.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    I gave up Poly after the 70's. I am strictly cotton all the way; however I am not opposed to wool.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

cotton. been there done that with poly and over it

I prefer 100% cotton fabrics. Much easier to cut and sew!

Always 100% cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
    I use 100% cotton UNLESS I am making a quilt for a child using some kind of licensed fabric. Then I am usually forced to get a blend.

My first 'blanket' was tied and made with a cotton/poly blend. I found that body oil stains were very difficult to remove without damage to the design on the fabric. Not a problem for children's blankets since they are washed often, but my blanket was only washed a couple of times a year and those oils seem to seep and stay permanently. On the plus side, this was a long blanket and only the end (where my arms and head are) had the staining. My bro secretly coveted my blanket, so when I decided to toss it, he asked for it. Since I had made it extra long, I cut off the end and rebound that edge. It is still in use as a summer blanket 7 or 8 years later.
    The quilt on our bed is cream colored, and shows up as "dirty" at the top where we touch it more. When I wash it, first I take a one gallon ice cream pail (or any scrub bucket will do) and put the soap in it that I will use for that load of wash. Fill the bucket about half full of water. Then roll or fold the top of the quilt so that the top fits into the bucket. Let it set until the quilt has absorbed all the soap water. Then just put into the washing machine and wash. The power of the soap is concentrated on that area, and it gets much cleaner.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    100% COTTON FABRIC
    100% COTTON THREAD
    80/20 OR 100% COTTON batting OR WOOL batting

Jan in VA
    Ditto, Ditto Ditto......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast