Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to set color---Retayne? >

Need to set color---Retayne?

Need to set color---Retayne?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Default Need to set color---Retayne?

Am in the process of making 4 throws for my 4 grown kids for Xmas. Got two done (for the out-of-towners) and will have to just put together the tops of the other 2 to show them and finish after Xmas. We're having our Christmas this Sunday the 23rd.

These turned out to be quite a learning project! I'd gotten some blue and white minky about 3 yrs ago and am finally doing these. Was going to use the white for the girls' throws but changed my mind. Got the Michael Miller fairy panels for the girls, blue for DIL and pink for DD. I ended up using the blue minky on DIL's and wanted to have pink for DD's. SO.....I have a red plush poly throw so I washed it with the white minky in HOT water today to see if I could tint the white minky pink. It worked but now I'm wondering if I use Retayne to wash it now, will that set the color or will it eventually fade out to white? It's hard for me to get out and about to try to find pink Minky now!

Will post pics later when they're finished.

Last edited by Pollytink; 12-19-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Addendum: In looking at some posts I've saved about R and S, question: Do these work only or mainly only on COTTON fabric? Will they work on poly? TIA!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

I am not sure if it will set the dye on a Poly. If you have some give it a try on a sample. From past experience with accidental coloring ( ex -husband washed my white uniforms , a 50 /50 blend, with a red bathrobe) it does fade over time but never completely returns to the white.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Retayne only works on cellulose (plant) fibers (cotton, linen, rayon, canvas and jute), not on synthetic or animal fibers (poly, nylon, wool, silk, etc.). Different dyes are used for poly and cotton. What will dye one will not dye the other...so you're lucky you used a red poly throw to tint your white poly Minky.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Retayne only works on cellulose (plant) fibers (cotton, linen, rayon, canvas and jute), not on synthetic or animal fibers (poly, nylon, wool, silk, etc.). Different dyes are used for poly and cotton. What will dye one will not dye the other...so you're lucky you used a red poly throw to tint your white poly Minky.
I had a feeling from reading the posts I'd saved that this was the case. And I wasn't at all sure that the red throw would bleed color but hoped it would! So the pink minky will do for now. Onward and upward!