Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Paint Advice for Quilt Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/paint-advice-quilt-room-t217601.html)

asimplelife 03-28-2013 12:08 PM

Paint Advice for Quilt Room

After about a month of weighing the pros & cons I've decided to move my quilting room down into our lower level - what used to be our DD's room and was going to become a dedicated guest room. We will leave the trundle bed in my current quilt room and my new one will be bed free and allow me to have a big design wall. I'm going to have a friend build a large cutting/storage table using the Ikea Expedit bookcases I've seen on this board. I'm so excited!!! And my DH is excited to not have my mess all over our large kitchen eat-in counter where I currently use my large mat.

It has 2 large windows facing south & west which I'm thrilled about as my eyes are getting older like the rest of me! My current room has only one window facing east and I use a lot of additional lights. I'll be stripping half height wallpaper next month to get the process started but wanted to get some input on paint color for the walls.

They are currently painted yellow (which is actually my favorite color). In the room I'm currently using the walls are a soft sage green - a color I love - but I feel it absorbs a lot of light and wouldn't consider it again. I don't want white as most of my sewing furniture is white.

I'm leaning toward keeping it yellow or maybe trying coral. I use so many cool colors in my decorating... but I want this room to be warm and energetic! The woodwork is light wood and the floor is a medium wood toned laminate.

What colors do you like in your quilting space? And why?

quiltstringz 03-28-2013 12:12 PM

I have yellow - just because I love it. DH isn't crazy about yellow so that is the one place that is all mine and I could do whatever I wanted. I have to be honest and say that it has been that color for about 10 years and it is probably time for a new coat. What color would I use - yellow again I still am not tired of it.

JaniceP 03-28-2013 12:22 PM

My quilting room is in my basement so no natural light I used what I would call a gold khaki color. I've been pretty happy with it, but I love green's and red's. I think any color that you are naturally drawn to will be a good color. Although some color's will affect fabric color. I choose this color to compliment the other colors I used in the basement.

ksdot417 03-28-2013 01:12 PM

My sewing room is in the basement with little natural light. I went with a color called Lady Fingers (just like the cookies). It's fairly light but has a little color to it. I really like it.

Quiltngolfer 03-28-2013 03:40 PM

My quilt studio is painted cream with while woodwork. It makes a nice bright space. My curtains are sage green.

CarolynMT 03-28-2013 03:49 PM

Yellows and browns reflect yellow light, white reflects all colors, when I painted my old sewing room, I picked a very light ice blue, it cut down on the yellow light (blue is opposite yellow on color wheel) and used pure white light bulbs, (most incandescants are yellow) so my colors were true. ;) So I would vote for a very light blue.

lots2do 03-28-2013 04:56 PM

My room to be is a soft blue-ish green color. My current room is a darker green color.. With white trim. I love both shades.

petthefabric 03-28-2013 05:06 PM

I'd paint mine my favore color. However most of the walls are covered with white shelving full of fabric or white design wall. Since it was nicely painted and the areas that do show are white, I left it that way.

Dolphyngyrl 03-28-2013 07:11 PM

I am in love with a pale aqua, when I get mine, thats the color I want to remind me of the ocean outdoors.

mighty 03-28-2013 08:26 PM

Mine is a beautiful pale yellow.