Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts you like from magazines? Organize? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-you-like-magazines-organize-t220717.html)

mimmy96 05-04-2013 03:08 PM

Quilts you like from magazines? Organize?

We all love looking at quilting magazines...well I do at least!! How do you all do it?
Do you just keep all your magazines? Or do you tear out the ones you really like and put them in a binder? Or how do you organize?

QuiltnMyra 05-04-2013 03:24 PM

Hello Mimmy, I love my magazines and mostly keep them. But I also photocopy anything that catches my eye, mark where it came from for easy reference later and file the copies in a manilla folder. Works for me.

SavedByGrace 05-04-2013 03:24 PM

I've wondered that, myself. Seems like there'd be a better way rather than keeping the entire magazines.

Tartan 05-04-2013 03:59 PM

​I keep back copies of one magazine and photo copy interesting patterns for my idea file. I glance through my idea file if I get in an inspiration slump. I yard sale all my older issues.

LivelyLady 05-04-2013 04:02 PM

I love magazines, too. After I've looked at them a trillion times, I pull out the pattern and instructions and put them in page protectors in binders. I have seperate binders for different quilts like applique, etc.

QuiltnNan 05-04-2013 04:02 PM

I keep all of my mags. i peruse them and mark ones i might like to make. i have so many on the computer, will probably never get to the ones in the mags,. i still love to read the mags, though.

watson's mom 05-04-2013 04:24 PM

After I have read them I keep them for awhile then take out the patterns I like and put them in a binder and recycle the mags in the paper bin. Of course it never fails...I see a great quilt here on the QB and would love to have the pattern only to realize I have thrown it out.

mimmy96 05-04-2013 04:39 PM

One main reason I was asking is.... I inherited about 100 quilting magazines... I would love to keep them all, and can.. but honestly will I ever use them all? so was thinking about just going through and keeping certain things.. just don't want to regret it, but I could use the place I am storing them, for something else! :) some of these are really old mags!

TerryQuilter 05-04-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mimmy96 (Post 6044517)
We all love looking at quilting magazines...well I do at least!! How do you all do it?
Do you just keep all your magazines? Or do you tear out the ones you really like and put them in a binder? Or how do you organize?

This is exactly what I do. I have a huge binder with all kinds of patterns from magazines that I have collected. Lot less mess around my sewing room.

Nammie to 7 05-04-2013 07:37 PM

I keep my magazines in order by month and year. I go through my magazines several times a year, pulling out old issues and rereading them. There may be nothing that interests me in a magazine right now but another time I might pull it out and something strikes my fancy. I did give away a bunch of magazines that were more beginner magazines. I keep Fons and Porter, American Quilter, and McCalls Quilting, along with American patchwork.