Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Genealogy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/genealogy-t221656.html)

nivosum 05-16-2013 05:57 PM

Genealogy

Anybody here addicted to genealogy. I started researching family about two years ago and have met some of the nicest relatives. I discovered both sides of my family go back to the 1600's in the USA. Also a lot of history have been learned.

Nan C 05-16-2013 06:18 PM

I have some cousins that do genealogy I have tried but just do not seem to have the time to devote to it. But I will admit it is very interesting to learn about the family. Good luck on your quests. :)

mary quilting 05-16-2013 06:38 PM

I have done some research but it is hard to find the time.We go back to the 1600's too, and then to England. My husband is first generation his two older brothers one born Sweden one born Ireland his parents from Poland and Ukraine

jhoward 05-16-2013 07:02 PM

Yep, I've been doing it for yrs.....my daughter is hooked, too........she's the one using my fabric "stash". : ) I've met lots of great people online......some become friends for life. : ) I'm addicted to research as I am to quilting....

sandilee 05-16-2013 09:14 PM

A long lost cousin, I think she would be a 3rd or 4th cousin located me online via another first cousin. She has all of my mothers genalogy to 1601. Its fascinating. Both sides are Welsh. I also stumbled across an old cemetery in Somkey Mountains National Park (Cades Cove) where some of my ancestors circa early 1800's are buried.
She keep in touch with me often if she hears anything from other family.

ranger 05-17-2013 03:19 AM

Yes, I have been on the search for years. Genealogy is fascinating to me.
Unfortunately, I cannot find much info about my ancestors.
I do know that they came from England but the name was so common in many areas of England.
Has anyone done the DNA project that helps find distant relatives? At the moment, I am not sure what it's called but I have been thinking about doing the test. Has anyone done it and what are your opinions?

jeank 05-17-2013 03:44 AM

My brother did the research for our family. He traced us back to John Howard and Elizabeth Tilly of the Mayflower. Since that couple had 11 children, and they all had about 10, I think that a quarter of all the US can say this same thing. LOL

On my father's side, I am first generation American as he came from Scotland.

Jingle 05-17-2013 11:59 AM

Our oldest Daughter got into genealogy and found a relative of my came from Luxombourg. Another founded a town in Illinois. She found a cousin in Canada that sent her pictures of my Great Grandparents. I also found out my oldest Brother, younger than I, had died and buried in a Nat'l Cemetery in N.C. She also found out what my parents died of and where. Not all families are close.

noveltyjunkie 05-17-2013 12:05 PM

Oh yes! My husband and I have spent lots of time on it. When our kids get homework about family trees they can fill in a lot of detail!

LynnVT 05-17-2013 05:18 PM

My husband has done a lot, following from info his dad had. His people came over from England on the ship "Mary & John" in early 1600s. We have friends who are big on the DNA search, in part because one of them was adopted. They really like it, but it's kind of expensive for me. I used to work for the company that makes Genealogybank, so I can use that. They have a lot of old newspapers from all over the country.