Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Cathedral Window update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cathedral-window-update-t228591.html)

Dedemac 08-23-2013 10:38 AM

Cathedral Window update

1 Attachment(s)
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Here is an update on my project. My first post was here

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...w-t215048.html

I don’t care if the quilt police look for me or not. I did what I thought was best!! First I did finally visit the local quilt guild, and thought they would be a good group to ask. I don’t know if I will go back it was not a good experience. First I had to ask my questions during the show and tell time, I don’t like to stand in front of groups. Second no one really wanted to see the construction of the piece. Everyone just said keep it as is or add to it and finish it for a twin bed. I was disappointed that no one wanted to look at its’ construction, it was not put together in the normal fashion for a cathedral window.

Well here is what I did, I found which row of windows to remove and unstitched them! Then I unstitched the seam underneath, this was easy since it was just a zig zag stitch every thing came apart with no problem. I think it took me maybe 1 ½ hours to unstitch everything. I also removed the colored panels on the points since these would now be in the center.

Now before I put the two pieces back together I decided to give it a bath. I put it in the washer on gentle cycle with some special bath for old quilts, let it soak for a bit then rinsed it 3 times. Most of the stains are out and it is easier to work with now. This had been lying around for 40 to 50 years and was rather bad.

I have started to reattach the two sides together, I figured that it would be best to start in the middle and work my way to the corners. You can see a small area that is done, I am going to use the windows that I removed on the center set of panes, and will get a charm pack for the extra missing ones. I think something that should blend in but I haven’t decided if I will do prints or solids, I will wait until I get to that point and audition them.

I am leavening the triangles at the edges white and just folding the arches and will stitch them down with a contrasting thread. Since the original construction is done 98% by machine, my alterations and additions will be done by hand so my sister in law will know what was done by her Grand Mother. Here is an updated picture. I think it will work and looks much better as a square.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431814[/ATTACH]

Thanks

janceejan 08-23-2013 10:45 AM

I think it is looking great. Kudos on your work and dedication !

Radiana 08-23-2013 10:55 AM

It looks very nice as a square and I think all the work your putting into this is so generous of you. I just love all the fabrics that were used in it. It's a treasure.

Baloonatic 08-23-2013 11:30 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your less-than-satisfactory visit to your local quilt guild! I would bet that the schedule for the meeting was timed to fit everything in that needed to be addressed, which doesn't leave much room for requests such as yours. I belong to 2 guilds and I enjoy both. The monthly meetings are over at 9 p.m. and the room empties quickly. I for one want to leave right away as I am usually in bed by that time!
For any future quilty needs, I might suggest finding a friendship group from a guild or church quilting group. They usually have a lot more flexibility in time and inclination to offer help and suggestions

Tweety2911 08-23-2013 12:14 PM

You are doing a wonderful job!! Quilt looks beautiful!!

Jingle 08-23-2013 12:45 PM

I don't belong to any quilds or groups. No a joiner.
You are doing fantastic work on it. It will end up gorgeous.

Zebra2 08-23-2013 12:50 PM

Very, very nice!! Glad you took the time to work it out!!

nativetexan 08-23-2013 01:55 PM

Oh you've done an absolutely wonderful job!! It looks beautiful!!! :thumbup:

Diane007 08-23-2013 02:38 PM

looking good... very nice

thanks for sharing how it goes together

Raine54RN 08-23-2013 04:29 PM

I am very impressed by your work and knowledge. It is beautiful and will be more so when you finish. Will be happy to see the finished quilt.